BUTTERNUT SQUASH CASSEROLE WITH APPLE AND LEEK
Serves: 6 2 lb (1 kg) butternut squash ■ 2 tsp (10 mL) olive oil ■ 1 large leek, white and pale ■ green parts only 2 tbsp (30 mL) ghee (see note) ■ or unsalted butter 1 green apple ■ 1 large egg ■ 1 cup (250 mL) freshly grated ■ Parmesan cheese 1/2 cup (125 mL) panko crumbs ■ 3 tbsp (45 mL) mayonnaise ■ 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) sea salt ■ 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) freshly ground ■ pepper 1/4 tsp (1 mL) freshly grated ■ nutmeg or pinch dried
1. Peel and cut squash into 1/2-inch (1 cm) cubes (about 4 heaping cups/1.25 L). Place in a large pot, cover with water and bring to a boil over high heat. Boil for 10 minutes or until just fork-tender. Drain and cool.
2. Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C). Grease a 3-quart (3 L) baking dish with the oil.
3. Slice leek lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch (1 cm) pieces.
4. In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt ghee or butter and stir in leeks. Partially cover and cook gently, stirring occasionally, until soft but not brown, about eight minutes. Slice apple, peel on, into 1/2-inch (1 cm) cubes and add to the leeks. Cook for two minutes, then remove from heat and cool.
5. In a large bowl, beat together the egg, 3/4 cup (180 mL) of the cheese, 1/4 cup (60 mL) of the panko crumbs, the mayonnaise, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Gently fold in the squash cubes and the leek-apple mixture. Transfer mixture to the prepared baking dish.
6. In a small bowl, stir together the remaining 1/4 cup (60 mL) cheese and 1/4 cup (60 mL) crumbs. Sprinkle over the casserole. Bake in preheated oven for 45 to 50 minutes, until golden. Serve hot. Note: A recipe for making ghee is included in the book. email@example.com