ROASTED RED PEPPER STUFFED CHICKEN BREASTS
Serves: 4 4 boneless, skinless chicken ■ breast halves (1 3/4 lbs/ 794 g total, not thin-cut; without tenderloins) 1/2 cup (125 mL) shredded ■ part-skim mozzarella cheese 1/4 cup (60 mL) finely chopped ■ roasted red pepper 2 tbsp (30 mL) pitted, chopped ■ green olives 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh ■ basil leaves (may substitute 1 tsp (5 mL) dried basil) 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt ■ 1/4 tsp (1 mL) freshly ground ■ black pepper 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil ■ 2 cloves garlic, minced ■ 1/2 cup (125 mL) no-salt-added ■ chicken broth 1 tbsp (15 mL) red wine vinegar ■ 4 cups (1 L) baby arugula leaves ■
1. Cut a 3-inch (7.5-cm) long pocket into the thick side of each chicken breast (without cutting all the way through).
2. Combine the cheese, roasted red pepper, olives and basil in a medium bowl, to form the filling.
3. Stuff some into the pocket of each chicken breast, using all of it. Season the outside of the chicken with 1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) each salt and pepper.
4. Heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once the oil shimmers, add the stuffed chicken breasts and cook for 4 to 5 minutes per side, until the cheese has melted, then transfer to a plate.
5. The chicken should be cooked through.
6. Add the remaining tbsp (15 mL) of oil to the same skillet. Once it’s hot, add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds, then pour in the broth.
7. Once the liquid begins to bubble at the edges, stir to dissolve any browned bits in the pan. Add the vinegar and the remaining 1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) each salt and pepper, stirring to incorporate.
8. To serve, divide the arugula among individual plates. Top each portion with a stuffed chicken breast, then drizzle with the pan juices. Serve warm.