Champ Nadal opts out of U.S. Open

Windsor Star - - SPORTS -

World No. 2 Rafael Nadal con­firmed on Tues­day that he will not de­fend his U.S. Open crown this year at Flush­ing Mead­ows as or­ga­niz­ers re­leased the sin­gles en­try list for the Grand Slam.

Spain’s Nadal had said in June that he had reser­va­tions about trav­el­ling to the U.S. amid the COVID -19 pan­demic and he joins women’s world No. 1 Aus­tralian Ash Barty in skip­ping the tour­na­ment due to COVID-19 con­cerns.

“Af­ter many thoughts I have de­cided not to play this year’s U.S. Open,” Nadal said on Twit­ter. “The sit­u­a­tion is very com­pli­cated world­wide, the COVID-19 cases are in­creas­ing, it looks like we still don’t have con­trol of it.”

World No. 3 No­vak Djokovic, a three-time cham­pion in New York, head­lines the men’s list along with last year’s run­ner-up Daniil Medvedev and other top 10 play­ers in­clud­ing Do­minic Thiem, Ste­fanos Tsit­si­pas and Alexan­der Zverev. Canada’s De­nis Shapo­valov, Felix Auger-alias­sime and Mi­los Raonic are slated to play.

Swiss Roger Federer, a five­times U.S. Open cham­pion, will also be ab­sent af­ter the 38-yearold was forced to un­dergo knee surgery in June that pre­ma­turely ended his 2020 sea­son.

Nine of the top 10 women’s play­ers, in­clud­ing 23-times Grand Slam cham­pion Serena Wil­liams and holder Bianca An­dreescu, are on the en­try list along with 2018 cham­pion Naomi Osaka.

As many as 13 Grand Slam cham­pi­ons are in the women’s draw in­clud­ing Ro­ma­nia’s Si­mona Halep, the reign­ing Wim­ble­don cham­pion and 2018 French Open win­ner, and this year’s Aus­tralian Open cham­pion Amer­i­can Sofia Kenin.

Or­ga­niz­ers said the seed­ings would be an­nounced closer to the start of the tour­na­ment, which is sched­uled for Aug. 31.

The Madrid Open, which was sched­uled to take place from Sept. 12-20, was can­celled on Tues­day due to the rise of COVID -19 cases in the Span­ish cap­i­tal.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.