BRAZIL BEEFS UP SECURITY IN ADVANCE OF OLYMPICS
RIO DE JANEIRO — Brazil is revising its security for next month’s Summer Olympic Games in the wake of the attack in Nice, France, that killed 84 people, officials said as they carried out the latest in a series of counterterrorism exercises.
This country, which has never suffered a terrorist attack, will host up to half a million tourists for South America’s first Olympic Games, which start in Rio de Janeiro on Aug. 5.
Extra measures will be imposed, including intensified searches, increased security on streets, restrictions on traffic on some routes and an increased safety cordon around some venues, government ministers said, without providing details.
The city had already planned to deploy 85,000 police, military and members of a Brazil-style national guard called the National Force on Rio’s streets. But the scale of the carnage caused by the truck used in the Nice attack prompted Brazil to re-evaluate its security measures.
Defense Minister Raul Jungmann told reporters Brazil had a database of 500,000 people suspected of some association with terrorism, compiled with the help of the United States and France.