How to remove hairspray splatter on walls
QUESTION: I have brown painted walls in my bathroom and can’t find anything to remove the hairspray splatter and dust accumulation spots on the wall. Help, Bobbi-Jo, Winnipeg
ANSWER: It is always best to start with the easiest solution and attempt more drastic measures if needed. Plan A: In a spray bottle, combine one-third liquid fabric softener and two-thirds water. Spray on the surface to be cleaned and wipe. Plan B: Ventilate and wear gloves; wash the wall with ammonia (or Windex) and wipe dry with a clean cloth. Plan C: Dampen a piece of fine sandpaper with shampoo and gently scrub the area to remove all traces of hairspray. Rinse and repeat if necessary. Plan D: D is for desperate; wash the wall with TSP (Trisodium Phosphate) according to the directions on the container. Paint if needed. QUESTION: Have you got a solution for cleaning the baked-on grease from old aluminum cookie sheets or granite roasting pans? Alma, Winnipeg
ANSWER: Whether you are tackling old aluminum cookie sheets or granite roasting pans, S.O.S pads really work well. You’ll need to use some good oldfashioned “elbow grease” and scrub hard. The steel wool can mess up your hands, so be sure to wear rubber gloves. I keep wet S.O.S pads in a little bowl lined with aluminum foil to prevent them from rust. Next time you are at the store, pick up a Silpat (worth the investment) and/or parchment paper to line your pans. Both will save you oodles of clean-up time and money. QUESTION: I returned to my apartment rental from a two-month holiday to find the newspaper I used to cover the shelves in my cupboards is now stuck to the wood. These are built-in teak cupboards made by the owner. I need to restore them to their original state. Help! Propagana (Brandon, MB)
ANSWER: The paper needs to be removed by being moistened first. Apply a few drops of olive, teak or cooking oil to a small section of the paper. Rub that area gently with a clean cloth until the paper is removed. Next, repeat the same procedure to the adjacent stuck paper area. Repeat until all of the paper is gone. Do not try to scrape off the paper or you will damage the wood.
I would like to warn you of the moisture levels in your cupboards. Paper usually sticks to wood only in damp situations. Either you have dampness due to seepage or you stored something liquid in your cupboard that spilt. A seepage issue will need to be addressed. Inform the owner of the apartment if you discover seepage in the walls.
Feedback from Manitobans who Care: Hi Reena, In your Free Press column on, Sat. Feb. 6, Anne was asking about converting her large base torchiere lamp to hold a regular-size base light bulb. I also have an old large base torchiere lamp, and I was able to convert it by using a simple adapter I purchased from Del’s Electrics on Wall Street for only a few dollars. You simply screw it into the large-base light socket, and then screw the light bulb into the adapter, which holds a regular base bulb. Trilight bulbs do not work in them in as much as they do not offer three levels of light, only one. Therefore, use any regular light bulb. Now it will take two clicks of the switch to turn the lamp on. Reiss Lighting also carries the adapter, and perhaps most other electric supply stores do also. I enjoy reading your column for helpful hints. Regards, Linda Hi Reena, You suggested that the lady with the torchiere and no bulbs try a re-wiring kit. Another solution is to wind up the chord and plug and secure them under the pedestal of the lamp. Purchase a small decorative plate to set over the empty bulb surround and get a large pillar candle to set on this. It provides a unique look at a reasonable price with little effort. Eden
Reena’s Note: Use extra caution with candles. Never leave a candle unattended. Hi Reena, The writer of the question about the torchiere floor lamp in Saturday’s paper may like to know Pollock’s Hardware at the corner of Main Street and Atlantic Avenue in north Winnipeg has the trilight bulbs. My retired husband, Peter, works there a couple of days a week and he says they recently got a stock in. Cheers, Rowena Dear Reena, I recently had to replace my burnt out bulb. I obtained a replacement at Super-lite, 1040 Waverley St. (ph 9897277) for $7. I hope this helps out Anne if she chooses to go this route. I enjoy your weekly column. Jeff. Hi Reena, I have a very old lamp that I bought at an antique sale. It also needed a large base bulb though not a trilight. My husband bought one for me just a few weeks ago at Home Depot on Regent. Though it is not a trilight, a lamp can still be useful without a regular largebase bulb. Hope you can pass this onto Anne in Winnipeg. Do not get rid of the lamp, I love old lamps and if she wants to get rid of it have her contact me. Thanks. Gloria Dear Reena, Maybe you can let Anne know she can get large base trilight bulbs at Canadian Tire. Judy Fabulous Tips of the Week:
To juice a lemon, slice in half and pierce with fork tines. Squeeze and enjoy. Piecing the flesh will provide you with double the amount of juice. Rekha, Winnipeg
Clean piano keys. Use an eraser to remove marks from ivory keys. Darcia, Winnipeg
Keep your punch cold. Use frozen seedless grapes! Not only will they add festive colour but, unlike ice cubes, they won’t melt and dilute your punch. Leon (Churchill, MB)
I enjoy your questions and tips, keep them coming!