Of­fi­cers come un­der fire dur­ing 12-hour stand­off in city’s North End

Winnipeg Sun - - FRONT PAGE - GLEN DAWKINS gdawkins@post­media.com Twit­ter: @Sun­glen­dawkins

A 16-year-old boy faces at­tempted mur­der and other se­ri­ous charges as a re­sult of the 12-hour stand­off with po­lice on Wed­nes­day in the North End.

On Fri­day, po­lice re­vealed de­tails on the armed stand­off which in­volved a wide-scale re­sponse that in­cluded more than 100 of­fi­cers and the ac­ti­va­tion of the ser­vice’s emer­gency op­er­a­tions cen­tre and in­ci­dent com­mand re­sponse as well as de­ploy­ment of the Tac­ti­cal Sup­port Team and its Ar­moured Res­cue Ve­hi­cle.

“We did what we needed to do and we did it in a way where every­body was able to walk away safely,” said po­lice spokesper­son Const. Rob Carver, who said he had never seen a sim­i­lar in­ci­dent in his 25 years as an of­fi­cer. “Are there go­ing to be last­ing ef­fects? Ab­so­lutely. We’ve got a 16-year-old youth in cus­tody for just a mas­sive amount of some of the most se­ri­ous charges that I’ve seen and we’ve got of­fi­cers who are go­ing to be pro­cess­ing this for a long time.”

Po­lice now be­lieve the stand­off re­lated to an in­ci­dent early Tues­day morn­ing when they say a sus­pect fired nu­mer­ous shots into a sin­gle-fam­ily res­i­dent in the 600 block of Mag­nus Av­enue which was oc­cu­pied by sev­eral peo­ple. The fol­low­ing morn­ing at around 6 a.m., po­lice be­lieve the same sus­pect went to a house in the 300 block of Aikins Street and fired nu­mer­ous shots into the res­i­dence which was also oc­cu­pied at the time.

No one was in­jured in ei­ther in­ci­dent.

Po­lice re­sponded to the shoot­ing on Aikins and a K9 unit tracked a sus­pect to a home in the 300 block of Ban­ner­man Av­enue. The res­i­dents of the house were taken into cus­tody but the sus­pect was not lo­cated. The house was se­cured with units sta­tioned at the front and rear of the prop­erty.

At around 12:30 p.m., the sus­pect re­turned to the Ban­ner­man house and ran past of­fi­cers into the house with his face cov­ered, stat­ing he had a gun.

Shortly be­fore 1:00 p.m., shots were fired from the house at of­fi­cers po­si­tioned out­side. Tac­ti­cal Sup­port Team re­sources in­clud­ing the Ar­moured Res­cue Ve­hi­cle were moved in to as­sist of­fi­cers on scene. Of­fi­cers and Tac­ti­cal Sup­port Team mem­bers came un­der fire. Both the ARV and a po­lice cruiser were struck.

Af­ter a lengthy stand­off, po­lice were able to ar­rest the sus­pect at shortly be­fore 6:30 p.m.

No of­fi­cers were in­jured dur­ing the in­ci­dent.

“This is a very dif­fi­cult event to process both for our of­fi­cers who were be­ing shot at as well as for peo­ple who are be­ing told to stay in their houses and in their base­ments,” said Carver. “I can tell that from what I saw an what I heard the use of our Ar­moured Res­cue Ve­hi­cle was ab­so­lutely crit­i­cal in our abil­ity to be able to re­solve this with­out any in­juries.”

At a press con­fer­ence Thurs­day, po­lice Chief Danny Smyth said 50 of the of­fi­cers in­volved were in­ter­viewed and sup­ported by the WPS’S be­havioural health unit and nine were placed on ad­min­is­tra­tive leave to rest and re­cover from the event.

A 16-year-old boy is in cus­tody and has been charged with seven counts of at­tempted mur­der for fir­ing on po­lice of­fi­cers along with charges of dis­charg­ing a firearm with in­tent and careless use of a firearm as well as nu­mer­ous weapons and other of­fences. He was also ar­rested on an out­stand­ing war­rant for a sus­pen­sion of a con­di­tional su­per­vi­sion or­der.

The in­ves­ti­ga­tion is con­tin­u­ing by mem­bers of the Ma­jor Crimes Unit. Any­one with in­for­ma­tion is asked to call in­ves­ti­ga­tors at 204-986-6219 or Crime Stop­pers at 204-786TIPS (8477).


Heav­ily armed po­lice of­fi­cers re­spond to an armed stand­off in the North End Wed­nes­day. Inset, dam­age from gun­fire can been seen on a po­lice cruiser.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.