Medics had no time to lose af­ter blast

China Daily (Canada) - - TIANJIN BLASTS - By TANG YUE in Tian­jin tangyue@chi­

Liv­ing about 700 me­ters from the cen­ter of the Tian­jin blast, Jiang Lingyu was in­jured by bro­ken glass and passed out on Aug 12 at mid­night.

But the sec­ond she was awak­ened by her hus­band, the 53-year-old asked whether her 10-month-old grand­son was hurt.

While her son, who lived two floors be­low, was rush­ing down­stairs with the baby, Jiang’s hus­band, daugh­ter-in­law and a neigh­bor car­ried her from the 29th floor to the ground. It was for­tu­nate that her fam­ily was not se­verely in­jured.

Jiang was taken to TEDA Hos­pi­tal by am­bu­lance about half an hour af­ter the ex­plo­sion and has been hos­pi­tal­ized since. Doc­tor Li Qing said her eyes and hands were in­jured, but the chance of per­ma­nent scar­ring is very slim.

“I’m thrilled to learn that my grand­son is fine,” Jiang said from her sickbed, smil­ing as she men­tioned the baby.

“I’ve asked my son to take him back to our home­town in Shanxi province for the time be­ing. I asked them not to worry about me be­cause the doc­tor and nurses are tak­ing very good care of me,” said the mi­grant cleaner, who, with her hus­band, shared an 100square-me­ter apart­ment with another six house­holds be­fore the ac­ci­dent.

TEDA Hos­pi­tal, lo­cated about 2 kilo­me­ters from the Tian­jin blast site, also had 140 win­dows bro­ken by the ex­plo­sion.

But the doc­tors and nurses had no time to panic. Ten min­utes af­ter the first ex­plo­sion, TEDA Hos­pi­tal re­ceived its first wounded. Another 10 min­utes later, the first op­er­a­tion be­gan.

“We spent about six or seven min­utes to make sure all the hos­pi­tal­ized pa­tients were OK and then gath­ered at the emer­gency depart­ment for the ex­pected in­jured,” said Lu Yun, head of the hos­pi­tal.

Lu said the gov­ern­ment will cover all of the costs of hos­pi­tals’ treat­ment for the in­jured.

“The in­juries are more com­pli­cated than those in an earth­quake. I have seen­many pa­tients suf­fer from burns, frac­tures, and vis­ceral in­juries at the same time,” said Ren Xin­sheng, an ex­pert deal­ing with se­vere cases at the hos­pi­tal.

“Most of the more than 80 in­jured who are hos­pi­tal­ized at TEDA Hos­pi­tal are in a sta­ble con­di­tion, but in­fec­tion re­mains a se­ri­ous con­cern.”

Wang Ning, an ex­pert on neu­ro­surgery sent by the Na­tional Health and Fam­ily Plan­ning Com­mis­sion to Tian­jin, said all of the hos­pi­tal­ized pa­tients were hav­ing their ears and eyes checked as prob­lems such as eardrum per­fo­ra­tion are com­mon in such in­ci­dents.

“Hav­ing ex­pe­ri­enced such a dis­as­ter, some pa­tients suf­fer from psy­cho­log­i­cal prob­lems as a re­sult. We have ar­ranged for psy­chol­o­gists from Tian­jin and ex­perts from Bei­jing to take care of them,” Lu said.

About 60 psy­chol­o­gists are mon­i­tor­ing all the hos­pi­tal­ized pa­tients, 21 of whom are un­der se­ri­ous psy­cho­log­i­cal stress, said Cao Xi­ao­hong, vice-mayor of Tian­jin, who is in charge of health work.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from China

© PressReader. All rights reserved.