Resettlement launched after deadly landslide
The government of a village in northwestern China’s Shaanxi province that is susceptible to landslides has launched a major resettlement of residents after one of the disasters left nine people dead and 56 others missing earlier this month.
The landslide hit the living quarters of a mining company as well as three homes in Niangou, a village in Zongcun township, Shanyang county, in the early hours of Aug 12.
Nearly 200 people in the village have already been resettled, said Wang Shunbin, chief of the Niangou village Party committee.
Each of them is eligible for relief funds of 380 yuan ($59)
will be built in Shanyang county to resettle local residents.
per month, Wang added.
Han Shuxue, chief of the Zhongcun township Party committee, promised residents affected by the landslide more than 300 new homes, which should be ready to move into around February 2016.
Han said inspections had found that 971 households should be relocated for safety reasons, and that the county will build another 5,000 dwellings for their resettlement.