Man saved 67 hours after
A 21-year-old man was found alive on Wednesday morning after being buried in debris for 67 hours following Sunday’s landslide at an industrial park in Shenzhen, Guangdong province.
Tian Zeming, who was found in a collapsed building, is the first survivor to be rescued. He has broken bones and serious bruising, and is being treated at Guangming New District People’s Hospital, where he was reunited with family members.
Tian, who comes from Chongqing, began working at a company in the industrial park a few months ago.
He Yong, the soldier who rescued him, said, “I asked him for his name and if he was in pain, and he answered me clearly.”
Soldiers detected signs of life two days ago, and after digging 5 meters into the mud they finally reached the top of the collapsed building. They drilled two holes through concrete to allow a rescuer in.
The soldier kept talking to Tian to keep him awake. At 6:40 am, Tian was pulled from the building with his eyes and nose covered by a glove for protection and with a helmet placed on his head.
He said Tian was very brave because he tried to stand and walk after being pulled clear of the debris.
Xinhua News Agency said, “Tian told the soldiers who rescued him that there was another survivor close by.” However, the agency later reported that rescuers had found another body rather than a survivor.
Tian said he had been behind the door to an office when the building was swept by the mudslide, so the walls and other structures provided him with a breathing space.
He was among 76 people earlier reported missing in the landslide. The authorities have revised the number down after more people were reached.
More than 5,000 rescuers were continuing to comb the rubble to try to find survivors.
Tian Zeming, 21, is carried by rescue workers on Wednesday after being pulled from debris 67 hours after a landslide crushed a building in Shenzhen, Guangdong province. More than 5,000 rescue workers were on the scene.