Pollution poses threat to cities’ water
China’s major cities rely heavily on water collected in catchment areas that are under threat from encroachment and pollution, according to a new report from the Nature Conservancy, a leading global conservation organization.
The report said Beijing, Shanghai and 28 other major cities depend on surface water for daily consumption.
But it noted that 73 percent of the water catchment areas that supply that surface water had medium to high pollution levels.
The areas affected by medium to high pollution levels supply around 82 million people with water, the report said.
The report said the vast majority of water consumed by the major cities, 93 percent, came from collected surface water. The other 7 percent was drawn from underground reservoirs and other sources.
The 30 cities, which are home to one-third of the country’s population, depend on 135 surface water catchment areas.