Notable bridges along Suzhou Creek
Locals call this the “garbage bridge” as residents used to dump rubbish at a site near the bridge. The waste would then be transported to a wharf before boats shipped it away. Before the bridge was constructed in 1908, there was a wooden bridge at this same place built in the 1880s and people now call it “the old garbage bridge”.
First built in 1875, this has been dubbed “Laozha Bridge”, or the old gate bridge, as there used to be an ancient stone gate at the site. The bridge reached its service limit in 1962 and was subsequently rebuilt in 1968. A steel pedestrian bridge was also built at that time and it is called “Xinzha Bridge”, or the new gate bridge.
Inspired by the Alexander III Bridge in Paris and built in the 1950s, this bridge features four pillars at each of its four corners. Sculptures of human figures stand atop each of these pillars. In 2008, the authorities in Putuo district, where the bridge is located, began renovating it to celebrate the upcoming Shanghai World Expo in 2010.