TIPS FOR TRAVEL IN THE PHILIPPINES
Headlines about typhoons, volcanoes, earthquakes and terrorist attacks have led to perceptions in the outside world that the Philippines is dangerous. While tourists have nothing to worry about, there are some practical steps that can be taken to ensure a safe and enjoyable trip there.
Here are some useful tips proposed by Kuang Jiangnan, a travel consultant with the Planet Travel, based on his own experiences.
Pay close attention to the local weather forecasts and news reports.
2. Carry your passport and hotel card at all times. Do not go to remote places after dark.
3. Obey the traffic rules. Do not run across the road or forcibly cut in.
4. Do not strike up conversations with complete strangers and refuse to accept their services to avoid fraud or being used.
5. Tourists should bring an adequate supply of any necessary medication if they have medical conditions.
6. Keep cash, certificates and other valuables on your person at all times.
7. Do not leave valuables in the hotel room or sightseeing bus to avoid unnecessary losses.
8. Areas where you are likely to become a victim of a pickpocket include tourist spots, the hotel lobby and shopping malls.