New abuse claims add to game’s shame
A former Newcastle United player has added his name to a growing list of ex-players who say they were victims of sexual abuse during their time in English soccer.
David Eatock broke his silence on Wednesday as it emerged that more than a quarter of the UK’s regional police forces are looking into allegations of historic child sex abuse within the game.
Eatock, signed by Newcastle when Kevin Keegan was manager of the Tyneside club in the mid 1990s, said he was older than the majority of victims who have come forward.
The scandal has engulfed British soccer for the past two weeks since former Crewe Alexandra player Andy Woodward revealed he was abused by convicted child molester Barry Bennell in the 1980s.
The now 40-year-old Eatock said he had been a victim of former youth coach George Ormond, who was sentenced to six years in 2002 for a string of offenses committed over almost 25 years.
“One of the more difficult parts for me is that I wasn’t as young as some of the others,” Eatock told The Guardian.
“I was 18 when I got to know George Ormond. I can still remember the look on his face, how terrifying it was, and how his eyes were possessed.”