Shang­hai eases ac­cess for for­eign tal­ent

China Daily (Hong Kong) - - FRONT PAGE - By ZHOU WENTING in Shang­hai zhouwent­ing@chi­

Shang­hai un­veiled mea­sures on Fri­day aimed at at­tract­ing tal­ented peo­ple from over­seas, in­clud­ing high-level pro­fes­sion­als and young grad­u­ates, as it tries to build it­self into a global tech­no­log­i­cal in­no­va­tion hub by 2030.

Ac­cord­ing to the 10-ar­ti­cle im­mi­gra­tion pol­icy, re­cently ap­proved by the Min­istry of Public Se­cu­rity, se­nior over­seas pro­fes­sion­als will have eas­ier ac­cess and spend less time when they ap­ply for perma- nent res­i­dent per­mits.

Ex­pats work­ing at the Shang­hai Zhangjiang Na­tional In­no­va­tion Demon­stra­tion Zone or the China (Shang­hai) Pi­lot Free Trade Zone, along with their spouses and chil­dren, can di­rectly ap­ply for per­ma­nent res­i­dency with a rec­om­men­da­tion from the ad­min­is­tra­tive com­mit­tees of the zones. They no longer will need to pro­vide cer­tifi­cates from dif­fer­ent de­part­ments.

The pol­icy also guar­an­tees quicker ac­cess for qual­i­fied in­ter­na­tional tal­ent.

For­eign­ers with a mas­ter’s de­gree or above, or those em­ployed by an en­ter­prise in Zhangjiang, the free trade zone, in­sti­tu­tions of higher ed­u­ca­tion or sci­en­tific re­search in­sti­tutes in Shang­hai can di­rectly ap­ply for an R visa for pro­fes­sional tal­ent at Shang­hai port upon en­try, as long as they show their em­ploy­ment cer­tifi­cates, ac­cord­ing to the new pol­icy.

Yu Lizhong, chan­cel­lor and chair­man of the board of New York Univer­sity Shang­hai, said the pol­icy is wel­come.

“Our in­ter­na­tional grad­u­ates love Shang­hai, and I be­lieve a job here will give full play to their en­ergy, and that’s what we’re de­lighted to see,” he said.

Mo­machi Pabrai, a US stu­dent ma­jor­ing in me­dia and data an­a­lyt­ics, said: “China has a lot of new me­dia pro­grams, so un­der­stand­ing mar­ket­ing from the Chi­nese per­spec­tive is a whole new world. I’d love to have the op­por­tu­nity to work at least for a cou­ple of months in China’s mar­ket­ing land­scape.”

The new mea­sures also in­clude pref­er­en­tial poli­cies for over­seas Chi­nese and fam­ily mem­bers of tal­ented ex­pats to live, work or study in Shang­hai. Over­seas Chi­nese hold­ing a PhD or hav­ing worked for four years in en­ter­prises in Zhang jiang, the free trade zone or other qual­i­fied ar­eas can ap­ply for per­ma­nent res­i­dent per­mits.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from China

© PressReader. All rights reserved.