Shimao, Starwood joint venture indicates market optimism
S h i m a o Pr o p e r ty Ho l d - ings and Starwood Capital Group announced a new hotel management joint venture, Shanghai Shimao Star Hotel Management, in Shanghai on Tuesday.
Shimao Group initially inked a cooperation agreement with Starwood Capital Group on March 28, with Shimao Group holding a 51 percent stake in the new joint venture and Starwood Capital Group holding the remaining 49 percent.
“We plan to take full advantage of our internal strengths and establish partnerships with best-in-breed international real estate firms, like Starwood Capital Group, and establish a solid footprint in the starred hospitality markets, paving the way for Chinese hospitality brands to take their rightful place on the global stage,” said Shimao Group Vice-Chairman Jason Hui at the press conference.
On the heels of the producer price index rebounding in September 2015, China has maintained strong economic growth over the past two years, supporting market expectations about the country’s economic recovery.
PPI gauges factor y-gate prices and reflects the state of corporate activities.
As domestic demand for both business and leisure travel continues to rise, domestic and international hotel operators are making inroads into the local market through mergers and acquisitions.
The establishment of Shanghai Shimao Star Hotel Management demonstrates strong interest among investors worldwide in the Chinese hospitality market and their optimism about the future of the market, according to the company.
With a focus on the development of Shimao’s own hotel brands, the newly established company plans to carve out its presence in China’s fast growing hospitality market by targeting the development, operation and management of hotels.
The joint venture at present has six hotel brands, including luxury five-star brands Yu Resort and Yuluxe Hotel, business hotel brand Yu Hotel, premier service apartment brand Yu Residence, highend futuristic concept hotel brand MiniMax Premier and mid-end futuristic hotel brand MiniMax.
We plan to ... establish a solid footprint in the starred hospitality markets.”
Jason Hui, Shimao Group vicechairman
The RitzCarlton, Guangzhou is offering a whimsical summer afternoon tea experience, transforming its Pearl Lounge into a fairy-tale paradise this July and August. The themed menu features a Ferris wheel tea set and colorful decorations, as well as a selection of unique sweet and savory specialties served with refreshing tea. 020-3813-6888 Beersmith Gastropub at Hotel Jen Beijing has upgraded its lunch menu, though its price remains at 88 yuan ($13). The new menu features grilled salmon fillet and baby spinach salad with Japanese soy sauce, and Wagyu beef cheeseburger with semi-dried tomato aioli. 010-6505-2277 Ext 6610 Hyatt Regency Jinan will launch a new menu on Tuesday. The menu, designed by Wang Changliang, deputy executive chief chef of the hotel’s Chinese restaurant, and his team, will showcase a selection of fresh ingredients, reflecting the tradition and innovation of Chinese cuisines. 0531-8828-1234 Ext 1256
Hilton Garden Inn Shangri-La opened in Shangri-La, Yunnan province in early July, marking the first Hilton and third internationally-branded hotel in the city. It is also the 13th Hilton Garden Inn in China. Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts kicked off a groundbreaking ceremony of a new urban resort in Putian, Fujian province in East China on Wednesday. Scheduled to open in the fourth quarter of 2020, Shangri-La Hotel, Putian will be the group’s third property in the province, with the other two in Fuzhou and Xiamen.