Diplomats ‘shocked’ by Indian incursion
Foreign diplomats in China were shocked by Indian troops trespassing on Chinese territory, Foreign Ministry spokesman Lu Kang said on Tuesday.
“The incident has aroused wide concern in the international community. ... Many diplomats in Beijing have sought verification from China through diplomatic channels,” Lu told reporters at a daily news conference.
“The diplomats were shocked and felt it was hard to understand,” he said.
Last month, Indian border troops crossed into China at the Sikkim section of the border with India, a demarcation that has been recognized by both countries for decades. The troops have refused to withdraw.
The Sikkim section of the China-India border was defined by the Convention Between Great Britain and China Relating to Sikkim and Tibet in 1890 and has been acknowledged by successive Indian governments.
Lu said that the essence of the incident is clear. Indian troops illegally passed through the demarcated area of the Sikkim section of the China-India border and entered Chinese territory, he said.
“Justice will prevail. We strongly urge India not to make use of the trespass by military personnel as a political tool to accomplish a certain goal,” he said.
Lu also said Indian forces should leave the area to avoid “going too far on the wrong path”.
“We’ve said many times that India should come to a clear understanding of the situation and take measures to withdraw the troops, which illegally crossed the border, back to the Indian side of the border as soon as possible,” he added.