Mo­tive sought in slay­ings at NW mall

China Daily (USA) - - FRONT PAGE - By REUTERS

In­ves­ti­ga­tors were work­ing to de­ter­mine what led a gun­man to open fire and kill five peo­ple in a depart­ment store at a Wash­ing­ton state mall, po­lice said on Sun­day af­ter ar­rest­ing a 20-year-old sus­pect in the deadly ram­page.

Po­lice took Turk­ish-born Ar­can Cetin into cus­tody on Sept 24 in Oak Har­bor, about 30 miles south­west of Burling­ton where the shoot­ing oc­curred on Sept 23.

Cetin’s de­meanor when ap­pre­hended was “zom­bie like,” po­lice said at a news con­fer­ence. He was un­armed and did not run from of­fi­cers, they said.

A mo­tive for the ram­page re­mains un­clear, and Cetin, who is due to ap­pear in court on Mon­day, has not been charged.

The FBI said while they had no in­di­ca­tion the at­tack was a “ter­ror­ism act”, it could not rule out that pos­si­bil­ity.

Cetin, who po­lice said is a le­gal, per­ma­nent res­i­dent of the United States, is ac­cused of open­ing fire in the cos­met­ics sec­tion of a Macy’s depart­ment store at Cas­cade Mall, killing four women and a man.

Surveil­lance video showed the sus­pect en­ter­ing the mall with­out a ri­fle, but he was later spot­ted on video in the store bran­dish­ing a weapon, po­lice said. The ri­fle was re­cov­ered at the mall.

The at­tack fol­lowed a se­ries of vi­o­lent out­bursts at shop­ping cen­ters across the United States, in­clud­ing the stab­bing of nine peo­ple at a Min­nesota cen­ter last week­end.

In­ves­ti­ga­tors planned to search Cetin’s Oak Har­bor res­i­dence, ve­hi­cle and in­ter­view wit­nesses on Sun­day to col­lect ev­i­dence and “build as good as a case as you can”, said Sergeant Mark Fran­cis, a spokesman for the Wash­ing­ton State Po­lice.

Po­lice have re­ports that Cetin’s ex-girl­friend worked at the Macy’s, Fran­cis said. The pos­si­ble con­nec­tion was un­der in­ves­ti­ga­tion.

Cetin has a crim­i­nal record that in­cludes three do­mes­tic vi­o­lence charges in which his step­fa­ther was the vic­tim, the Seat­tle Times re­ported, cit­ing court records.

Reuters was un­able to con­firm the re­ports.

The Daily Mail of Lon­don iden­ti­fied the vic­tims as Beatrice Dot­son, 95, and her daugh­ter Belinda Galde; Chuck Ea­gan, a fa­ther of two; Shayla Martin, a makeup artist as Macy’s; and Sarai Lara, 16, a cancer sur­vivor.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from China

© PressReader. All rights reserved.