Quick facts: Profile of major effort
• The 752-kilometer railway offers both passenger and freight services.
• The railway line runs from a plateau as high as 2,400 meters in the west to flat deserts in the east.
• It is the continent’s first electric railway. Trains are powered through overhead wires.
• It is the first railway built outside China using Chinese equipment and standards.
• It is the second transnational railway built by Chinese firms in Africa, following the Tazara Railway.
• Before the project, there was no modern rail in Ethiopia or Djibouti.