After the tragedy
County authorities began inspecting all abandoned wells after a 6-year-old boy, who fell into a dry well on Sunday in Hebei province, was found dead on Thrusday night.
County authorities began examining all abandoned wells after a 6-year-old boy, whofell into a dry well on Sunday morning in Baoding, Hebei province, was found dead on Thursday night.
“We’ve learned the lesson, and will take measures to eliminate all potential danger posed by abandoned wells throughout the county,” Wu Sujie, the deputy director of the official rescue team, said during a news conference following the discovery of the boy.
The six-year-old, Zhao Zicong, was confirmed dead at around 11pmon Thursday after he was found at the bottom of the 40-meter well.
According to Wu, the well was dug in the late 1990s for irrigation and was abandoned in 2011, after which it was covered but not filled.
Wu said nobody knew when the cover was removed.
The boy fell into it by accident when playing with his older sister on farmland in Zhongmeng chang village.
Rescue efforts lasted for about 107 hours.
Since the well was too small for a rescue team to enter, they could only dig the soil around it.
Wu said there had been risks of land collapsing during the dig, when they had to stop until they made sure of no further danger to rescue teams.
About 300,000 cubicmeters of soil had been dug out, and would be replaced, Wu said.
More than 160 vehicles and 500 people, including volunteers, participated in the rescue effort.
A six-year-old boy is lifted from the bottom of a 40-meter dry well on Thursday night after more than 100 hours of rescue efforts. He was later confirmed dead.