COLONIAL THEATER OF GIBARA
Under the direction of the Provincial Council of Performing Arts and the Cultural Center Theater Eddy Suñol, the restoration of the Colonial Theater of Gibara is carried out joining forces in order to return, as far as possible, the building to its original state. This is attempted while also offering the possibility to have a more contemporary use. The idea is to rescue the shape and decoration of the room 1890, all wooden, auditorium type horseshoe shaped according to the model of the Italian theater, with an approximate capacity for two hundred and forty people, distributed in three levels. It is a challenge and the central axis of the intervention is the adaptation of the stage space to the requirements of the modern theatrical function. This is why a new stage mechanics, lights and sound are thought of, fulfilling the necessary optical and acoustic standards.
To the left of the building, seen from the front, is expected the recovery of its patio or garden, which is fitted with an alternative exterior room conceived with a modern light structure. This is complemented with a small bar-cafeteria and public sanitary services, commonly used with the theater. On these objects and forming part of a new building adjoining the theater, there are offices and a VIP lounge with direct access to the interior of the second level of the room.
As planned for the first phase of construction, the load bearing structure is already restored and new tiles are placed, balusters, moldings, lattices and wooden elements in general are carefully reproduced. For the satisfaction and pride of Gibareños and Holguineros, life is again felt in this special building in the city of Gibara, which hopes to reopen its doors to artists and public of today and tomorrow, thus providing historical continuity, food for tradition and sublime respect for art.