Fiji Sun - - Front Page - JES­SICA GOUNDER Feed­back: jes­sica.gounder@fi­

Five cor­ru­gated iron houses and Chris­tian Life church were burned down last night at Komave Street, Nabua. The fire oc­curred around 8: 45pm. A neigh­bour has blamed a lack of parental su­per­vi­sion as the cause of the blaze. A shocked Roshni Roy couldn’t hold back her tears, when she told Fiji Sun she had lost 10 years worth of earn­ings in a only a few min­utes. “I was wait­ing for the power to come back on, so I could cut my son’s birth­day cake. It’s his 11th birth­day to­day.

“The fam­ily liv­ing next door left their kids at home and were al­ways out at night as they sell juice at the mar­ket. “When the power went off, the kids lit a can­dle. When they came out­side, the door was jammed be­hind them and they were look­ing through the win­dow watch­ing the fire and didn’t tell me un­til they started to scream for wa­ter,” Ms Roy said. The flames en­gulfed and reached the neigh­bour­ing houses close by. Fam­i­lies were able to get of their houses in time. Mr and Mrs Roy said they lost more than $25,000 worth of be­long­ings in the blaze. Neigh­bours Foziya Kr­ishna, her hus­band and eight-year-old son Aeush Kr­ishna were ter­ri­fied when they saw their kitchen on fire. “The fire started from the kitchen and we had two gas tanks filled. “So I told my hus­band and child to run out be­fore it blows up. We could not save any­thing apart from the clothes we are wear­ing,” Mrs Kr­ishna said. Edited by Jonathan Bryce

Photo: Paulini Rat­u­lailai

A fire­fighter tries to put out the fire at Komave Road in Nabua last night.

Photo: Paulini Ratu lailai

Five houses and a church de­stroyed by a fire in Nabua last night.

Photo: Paulini Rat­u­lailai

Prashant Aryan Roy, 11, sit­ting with a lan­tern as he watches his home go down in flames at Komave Street in Nabua last night.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Fiji

© PressReader. All rights reserved.