We are ready to assist: Reddy
Minister for Education Mahendra Reddy yesterday assured the Indonesian Defence Force that Fiji was ready to assist them in the rebuilding works to Queen Victoria School in Tailevu. He made this comment while visiting the Indonesian Defence Force following a meeting with them at the school yesterday. “I want to assure your team of our continuous support. Whenever you need any assistance we are ready to help,” Mr Reddy said. The IDF is also working in collaboration with the Republic of Fiji Military Forces (RFMF). This, he said would speed up work. There are currently 30 Indonesian Defence Force personnel carrying out rebuilding work at QVS. An additional 70 personnel will arrive early next month. They would also arrive with the building materials.
First Secretary at the Indonesian Embassy in Fiji, Ambrosious Thomas confirmed that they would be getting 70 per cent of the building equipment from Indonesia, while the remaining 30 per cent would be bought here in Fiji. “During an assessment we found that some of the materials here are already fit for the standard of the buildings that we will be rebuilding here,” Mr Thomas said. He also told Mr Reddy that they would be demolishing some buildings at the school. He however, did not disclose which ones would be demolished. “One of the things that will really make a huge difference is to construct a multipurpose hall and have it named after the Indonesian government,” he said.