PM, A-G rated best performers
Prime Minister Voreqe Bainimarama and Attorney-General and Minister for Economy Aiyaz Sayed-Khaiyum earn the top placing in the top 10 list of performers in the Budget debate
Here’s the list
1. PM Voreqe Bainimarama/ A-G and Minister for Economy Aiyaz Sayed-Khaiyum
Consistency and clarity in their messaging on FijiFirst policies were the hallmark of their parliamentary contributions. They did not drift away from the substance of the Budget debate
2. Minister for Health and Medical Services Jone Usamate
He is becoming an accomplished debator in Parliament. His ability to respond to criticisms from the Opposition off the cuff was impressive. He is rapidly developing to be an effective strike weapon for Government.
3. Minister for Education, Heritage and Arts Mahendra Reddy, Minister for Women, Children and Poverty Alleviation Rosy Akbar
They were well prepared in their presentations. They let facts and figures do the talking for them. Mr Reddy stood his ground against the constant sniping to discredit him. His passion for education came out clearly and he seemed to enjoy himself when he was on the floor. Ms Akbar, though did not get interjected that often, stuck to her script and got the job done.
4. Minister for Industry, Trade and Tourism Faiyaz Koya
Mr Koya summed up the Opposition well as acting as a political demagogue and he stood his ground in debunking some myths thrown by the Opposition.
5. Minister for Agriculture, Rural Development and National Disaster Management Inia Seruiratu
Displayed his confidence and strength in articulating Government’s policies. He reinforced the Government side when under attack from the Opposition.
6. Minister for Local Government, Urban Development, Housing and Environment Parveen Kumar
He spices his contributions with a bit of humour especially when he is responding to Opposition questions.
7. SODELPA MP Viliame Gavoka
He was the best in the Opposition camp. Mr Gavoka spoke with passion and did not hold back with ideas on how to improve the economy. He showed why he is party leader material.
8. SODELPA MP Salote Radrodro
Ms Radrodro showed why she should be in Parliament. She did not shy away from asking pertinent questions. Her experience in the civil service gives her an advantage.
9. SODELPA MP Mosese Bulitavu
Mr Bulitavu was busy during the Budget debate. While one or two questions to Government may have missed the mark he was fulfilling the Opposition role to scrutinise Government
10. SODELPA MP Aseri Radrodro
Mr Radrodro asked the relevant questions which were recognised by the Government.
Prime minister Voreqe Bainimarama in Parliament yesterday.