Grandmother hailed a hero
An 86-year-old woman of Saolo, Wainunu, in Bua has been hailed a hero after she saved her three grandchildren from a burning home on Wednesday. Varanisese Leba was looking after her grandchildren in their four-bedroom home at Naruarua, settlement, outside Saolo Village, when it caught fire around 6am.
Saolo Turaga ni Koro, Sireli Nawakalukalu, said their house was one and a half kilometre from the village.
“The children’s mother, Losalini Manonoa, had gone to the neighbouring Nakawakawa Village to buy sugar when the fire occurred,” Mr Nawakalukalu said. “Vara was cooking in the kitchen; the two older children (four-year-old Ratu Manasa and three-year-old Loata) were playing in the sitting room while their four-year-old-sister, Maraia was in the room with their father.
“Their father, Kaliovati Manono, before going out to the farm had brought his youngest to the sitting room where the two elder ones were. “Moments later, Ms Leba got a shock when her three year old grand-daughter Loata rushed to her screaming “Nau, yavu! yavu!” (Grandma, fire! fire) “When she ran to the sitting room, all she could see was smoke, she grabbed the two older ones and ran outside, all the while thinking Maraia was in the room. “She left them outside and ran again inside the burning house to search for the toddler in their room. “It was the sound of the child’s shrills in the living room that diverted her to that direction, picked up her granddaughter and rushed her to safety.” People from the neighbouring villages and farms rushed to the location when they saw smoke emanating from there. Police confirmed a child had suffered 10 per cent burns and was admitted at the Wainunu Health Centre. Police spokesperson Ana Naisoro said investigation continues.
The burnt house at Saolo Village, Wainunu, Bua, on Wednesday.