19 workers on the run: Usamate
It has been revealed that 19 of the 130 people recruited for seasonal workers scheme to Australia were still on the run. The Minister for Employment, Relations and Productivity, Jone Usamate, said while this painted a negative image of Fiji to the outer job market, Australian and New Zealand farmers were still willing to recruit Fijians. Mr Usamate, on recruitment tour in Northern maritime communities has called on village headmen to carefully consider the names of individuals they were submitting for seasonal work. He said the three men from each village should be disciplined, fit and have a positive attitude towards the work they were being enlisted for. Mr Usamate said this was part of Government’s initiative to provide equal job opportunities for those people living in rural areas.
“The future of other villagers in this avenue highly depends on the attitudes of these individuals, if they are good with their work then they would ask for more people,” he said.
“This is true for four people from different parts of Fiji who worked at an Australian farm, they performed so well that the farmers asked for 10 more from each of their villages.
“It is therefore important to submit the names of those you know would do a good job and would keep the market open for more people.” Mr Usamate added the people whose names had been submitted would have to undergo a physical and health test before they were recruited to work. He said these tests would be held in the North between November 13 to 15. It was also confirmed that a team would be leaving in November and the next one in February for Australia and New Zealand.
Edited by Rusiate Mataika