WHO declares end of Zika emergency but still needs action
Geneva: The World Health Organisation (WHO) declared on Friday that the Zika virus and related neurological complications no longer constitute an international emergency but said it would continue to work on the outbreak through a “robust programme”. The WHO’s Emergency Committee, which declared an international public health emergency of international concern (PHEIC) in February, said the virus still represented “a highly significant and a long-term problem”. “The Zika virus and associated consequences remain a significant enduring public health challenge requiring intense action but no longer represent a PHEIC,” the WHO panel composed of independent experts said in a statement after meeting. Carried by mosquitoes, the Zika virus can cause the rare birth defect microcephaly and other neurological disorders in infants and adults. It has spread to more than 60 countries and territories since the current outbreak was identified last year in Brazil. Reuters
A pest control worker fumigates a school corridor on the eve of the annual national Primary School Evaluation Test in Kuala Lumpur in September.