MSAF To Finalise Contract To Salvage Sunken Vessel
The Maritime Safety Authority of Fiji (MSAF) has confirmed that a contractor from abroad will salvage the Southern Phoenix vessel in the Suva Harbour.
MSAF safety, compliance and response manager Captain Philip Hill said a few documents were yet to be signed with the contractor and it would take about three months to remove the wreck. “We understand the Fiji Ports Corporation Limited (FPCL) under its plans will approach the same contractor to clear other wrecks in the harbour,” he said.
FPCL chief executive officer Vajira Piyasena said the strategy at the moment was to see how they could occupy the same contractor to remove the wrecks.
Mr Piyasena said the removal of the vessel was handled by the owner Cruz Holdings Ltd and they would be able provide this information.
“We (FPCL) have requested the same contractor to provide a quote to remove other wrecks in Suva and we are waiting for a reply,” Mr Piyasena added.
The vessel continues to be under the watchful eyes of the MSAF to ensure that any spills from the ships are monitored. Absorption pads encircled the wreck as a precaution since it sank on May 6 last year.
The sunken Southern Phoenix in the Suva Harbour.