War Dog Memorial
During the First World War, tens of thousands of military hounds were used to save wounded soldiers or pull carts. In 1921, Hartsdale Pet Cemetery erected a monument in their memory. Produced by a sculptor named Robert Caterson, it is in the form of a German Shepherd poised on a rocky promontory with a helmet and a canteen at its feet. The dog—a real-life hero—wears a Red Cross blanket.