Four ques­tioned over bank deaths

Kathimerini English - - Front Page -

Four peo­ple who were ques­tioned over the week­end in con­nec­tion to the fire­bomb­ing of a bank in cen­tral Athens last May that led to three em­ploy­ees be­ing killed, have been given un­til Fri­day to make de­po­si­tions con­cern­ing the in­ci­dent.

Three of the four sus­pects were re­leased fol­low­ing ques­tion­ing by the po­lice on Fri­day, al­most a year to the day since the at­tack. The fourth per­son faced a pros­e­cu­tor be­cause when po­lice searched his home they found a bow and arrow, a sling­shot and a col­lapsi­ble ba­ton.

Skai TV re­ported that three of the sus­pects are aged 21, 25 and 36. Their homes in the cen­tral neigh­bor­hood of Exarchia and in Kypseli were re­port­edly searched.

The at­tack on the branch of Marfin Bank on Sta­diou Street took place on May 5 last year dur­ing a large protest against the aus­ter­ity mea­sures that had just been an­nounced by the gov­ern­ment as part of its 110-bil­lion-euro bailout pack­age.

An­ge­liki Pa­p­athana­sopoulou aged 32 and Paraskevi Zou­lia 35, and 36-year-old Epaminon­das Tsakalis died of as­phyx­i­a­tion af­ter as­sailants smashed the bank’s win­dows and threw Molo­tov cock­tails in­side. Pa­p­athana­sopoulou was four months preg­nant.

Po­lice have stud­ied CCTV footage of the in­ci­dent last May and have spo­ken to nu­mer­ous wit­nesses, in­clud­ing those who saw an at­tack on the Ianos book­store mo­ments ear­lier. It is thought that the suspect who faced a pros­e­cu­tor on Fri­day is be­ing ques­tioned in con­nec­tion with this at­tack, which did not re­sult in any in­juries.

Po­lice have de­fended the fact that it has taken them a year since the in­ci­dent to make head­way with their in­ves­ti­ga­tion. Sources told Kathimerini that it has been dif­fi­cult to make progress be­cause the at­tack­ers had their faces cov­ered and were wear­ing sur­gi­cal gloves dur­ing the at­tacks.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Greece

© PressReader. All rights reserved.