TUI Travel, Europe’s biggest tour operator, said it was on track to meet full-year expectations as increased demand for alternative destinations offset the impact of unrest in Egypt and Tunisia. The FTSE 100 company, majority-owned by German group TUI AG, said yesterday disruption from troubles in Egypt and Tunisia had knocked 29 million pounds ($47 million) off first-half profit, compared with the 30 million it anticipated. For the second half, TUI Travel expected to be able to fully mitigate the impact by increasing the amount of holidays on sale to alternative destinations. “The flexibility of our business model has allowed us to react quickly to mitigate the impact of the events in North Africa in the upcoming summer season,” chief executive Peter Long said. “We have reshaped our programs across all source markets to satisfy the shift in demand to alternative destinations including Spain, Greece and Turkey.” In contrast, archrival Thomas Cook had said on Monday the impact of unrest in the Arab world had been worse than previously thought and had been compounded by tough trading conditions in Britain. TUI Travel shares, which were down 13 percent since January, were up 1.5 percent early yesterday, while Thomas Cook shares were down 1.0 percent.