Three die in house fire after man sets self alight
A blaze that broke out in an apartment in a Thessaloniki suburb early yesterday, and killed three residents, including an 18-monthold child, is believed to have been ignited after a 65-year-old man doused himself with petrol and set himself alight, according to fire service workers.
The 65-year-old, who is believed to have had psychological problems, lived in a small apartment in Kordelio with his wife, also 65, who died in the blaze too. The 18month-old victim was the couple’s grandchild. The infant’s parents had been at work when the fire broke out.
Three survivors of the blaze – a 25-year-old man and a 10-year- old boy – were hospitalized. The 25-year-old is the couple’s adopted son and the 10-year-old is another grandchild, Kathimerini understands. The former sustained serious burns while the latter escaped with lighter injuries.
A 52-year-old neighbor who tried to help also suffered minor burns.
Local media suggested that the 65-year-old had made at least two attempts on his own life in the past, both times by self-immolation.
Fire service investigators found a fuel container in the debris which is believed to have contained the gasoline used by the 65-year-old to set himself alight.