Man, 87, found stuffed in bar­rel

Stabroek News Sunday - - REGIONAL NEWS -

(Trinidad Guardian) Two days af­ter Irv­ing Ming, 87, was re­ported kid­napped and a $10,000 ran­som de­manded, po­lice of­fi­cers Fri­day found his body stuffed in a bar­rel un­der his house.

Eleven mem­bers of his im­me­di­ate fam­ily, in­clud­ing four chil­dren, were taken in for ques­tion­ing and to give of­fi­cial state­ments. Other rel­a­tives were in­ter­viewed by po­lice on the scene.

Pre­lim­i­nary in­ves­ti­ga­tions re­vealed Ming was stran­gled to death at his Cal­cutta No. 2, Freeport home.

A re­port was made to the Freeport Po­lice Sta­tion by two rel­a­tives—a male and fe­male—that Ming was kid­napped from his home around 5 pm Wed­nes­day. Anti-Kid­nap­ping Unit of­fi­cers were called in and both rel­a­tives as­sisted in the pre­lim­i­nary stages of the in­ves­ti­ga­tion.The woman was then trans­ferred to the Couva Po­lice Sta­tion while the man was kept at the Freeport Po­lice Sta­tion.

Be­fore 7 am yes­ter­day, AKU of­fi­cers had al­ready asked for as­sis­tance from other units, in­clud­ing Homi­cide, Crim­i­nal In­ves­ti­ga­tions Depart­ment and the Ca­nine Unit. The team of of­fi­cers went to Ming’s house and car­ried out ex­ten­sive searches of the bushy area be­hind it and an ad­ja­cent house. The of­fi­cers were guided by aerial sur­veil­lance done with a drone.

The of­fi­cers later got a search war­rant for Ming’s house and made the grue­some dis­cov­ery shortly be­fore 2 pm. Ming’s body was found in a bar­rel in the garage area next to a white Sunny ve­hi­cle.

About 40 min­utes af­ter, three women and a boy were es­corted by of­fi­cers to a ve­hi­cle where they were taken to the po­lice sta­tion for ques­tion­ing. Sev­eral other rel­a­tives were kept on the scene as it was pro­cessed by crime scene of­fi­cers.

Po­lice said one of Ming’s chil­dren yes­ter­day con­fessed to them, say­ing he went to the up­stairs por­tion of the home where he saw a male rel­a­tive over him (Ming) stran­gling him. Po­lice said he told them he was too scared to say any­thing about it.

The T&T Guardian was also told by a rel­a­tive who wished not to be iden­ti­fied that Ming was fre­quently beaten by a rel­a­tive and on the last oc­ca­sion, due to a se­vere beat­ing, Ming turned to the court to get the rel­a­tive evicted.

Ming, who was orig­i­nally from Bank Vil­lage, Cara­pichaima, worked for a prom­i­nent at­tor­ney as a driver for many years. He was de­scribed as a “great man” by friends and neigh­bours.

A neigh­bour close by said she no­ticed “some­thing weird” tak­ing place at Ming’s house on Mon­day night.

“I’m afraid to say what I no­ticed but I knew some­thing was not right,” the neigh­bour said.

In­ves­ti­ga­tions are con­tin­u­ing.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Guyana

© PressReader. All rights reserved.