Reshaping of local gov’t areas aimed at cutting PPP/C wins at polls – Jagdeo
Sixteen constituencies have been removed from 14 Local Government Areas (LGAs) in what Opposition Leader Bharrat Jagdeo has described as gerrymandering in a bid to reduce PPP/C wins at the upcoming local government elections. The Order for the removal of the constituencies was signed by Minister of Communities Ronald Bulkan and published in an Extraordinary Gazette on June 7th. Up to press time, Bulkan could not be reached by Stabroek News for comment on the purpose of the order. Jagdeo said on Thursday that the order is a clear attempt by the governing coalition to influence results by restructuring the boundaries of LGAs. At the launch of a Government Public Awareness and Stakeholders Education Project, in the compound of the Public Buildings on June 15th, Bulkan announced that eight new NDCs and a new township would participate in the upcoming local government polls but he did not announce that for 14 existing LGA’s there will be fewer constituency elections. Jagdeo has criticised this action, while noting that such major changes require a fullfledged press conference.
Suspects in Crabwood Creek man’s disappearance lead cops to burnt remains
Two former murder accused, who are suspects in the disappearance of a Crabwood Creek pensioner, have led police to the discovery of burnt remains at a temple at Bennet Dam, Rosignol Village, West Coast Berbice. The remains are suspected to be those of Saeed Hamid, 65, who has been missing since April 19th. Commander of ‘B’ Division Lyndon Alves told Stabroek News that the remains have to be sent for DNA testing to confirm that they are those of Hamid. Alves said the suspects were among those who had been arrested after Hamid was reported missing in April. Both suspects, Satrohan Madray, 34, of Bennet Dam, and Antonio Balrup, of Edinburgh, East Bank Berbice, are known to police as they were previously charged with murder.
Finance Minister sues Edghill for malicious prosecution
Finance Minister Winston Jordan yesterday filed a $200 million lawsuit against opposition parliamentarian Juan Edghill for malicious prosecution, while contending that a failed bid to charge him with misconduct in public office has damaged his reputation and integrity. The application to the High Court, which was filed on Jordan’s behalf by attorneys Roysdale Forde and Olayne Joseph, lists almost two dozen grounds for the suit. Jordan was among a group of ministers against whom opposition parliamentarians filed misconduct charges, in response to court proceedings initiated by the state against former Minister of Finance Dr Ashni Singh and former Head of the National Industrial and Commercial Investments Limited (NICIL) Winston Brassington. However, the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) discontinued the private charges against the sitting ministers, saying that reports should have first been made to the police. The charge filed by Edghill against Jordan related to $906 million spent on the controversial D’Urban Park Development Project.
Ramotar concerned amendment to Financial Institutions bill can target some banks
With the Financial Institutions (Amendment) Bill 2018 likely to be passed in the National Assembly today, former President Donald Ramotar believes the possibility that it could be used to sanction banks without them having recourse to the courts has been overlooked. Ramotar is calling on banks, the banking association, the private sector and the public to familiarize themselves with the Bill and speak up before it is too late as he believes that the move is a calculated bid to target certain banks. “This bill allows them to arm themselves with powers that will allow them to extort more money from the banks. To let them know who the boss is,” Ramotar told Stabroek News yesterday. “Already they have GBTI (Guyana Bank for Trade and Industry) on the back foot. The next would be Demerara Bank and the Bank of Baroda … Later the others would inevitably follow. In the light of this clear and present danger, I am shocked that the Private Sector Commission or the Bankers Association have not said anything about this. This is a silence, I am sure, they may live to regret,” he added.
Venezuelan man stabbed to death after attacking woman
A Venezuelan man, who was seen assaulting his partner after she danced with another man, was fatally stabbed by a miner after he rushed to the woman’s aid. The dead man, who was identified as Rafael Angel Gonsale Prieto, 27, of Caicara, Bolivar State Venezuela was killed sometime around 1.50 am on Saturday at Black Water Backdam, Cuyuni River. Divisional Commander Kevin Adonis yesterday related to Stabroek News that the suspect was arrested and remains in police custody assisting with investigations. The suspect was apprehended approximately 16 hours after he fled the scene. Police in the area were able to make the arrest after acting on information given to them. On the morning of the fatal stabbing, police said the Venezuelan man and his partner, also a Venezuelan national of Maracay, Venezuela were dancing with a Brazilian national at a restaurant in the community.
Greenidge, Felix written to by Parliament committee on ‘alarming’ overstays
Minister of Citizenship Winston Felix and Minister of Foreign Affairs Carl Greenidge were written to on Thursday by the Parliamentary Sectoral Committee on Foreign Affairs and invited to the body’s July 4th meeting to discuss the large amounts of visitors overstaying their time here and the risk of human trafficking. “They were