LEAN IN: WOMEN, WORK AND THE WILL TO LEAD
If you’ve been secretly eyeing your boss’s corner office, this book is for you. As the COO of Facebook, Sandberg offers no-nonsense (and pretty tough) tips to making it big in a male dominated workforce.
1. Be more open to taking career risks. Women tend to avoid new challenges on the job, so stop worrying about whether you have the skills. Instead, believe in yourself and negotiate for yourself.
2. Ask yourself, ‘What would I do if I weren’t afraid?’ Then go ahead and do it.
3. If you’re starting your career, make a long-term dream plan about what you want to do. You need to constantly ask yourself, ‘What can I do to improve myself at work?’ Visualise your career as a jungle gym, not a ladder. This offers creative exploration and the ability to forge a new path for yourself.
4. Working moms should get their husbands to take an equal share of responsibility at home, for a healthy work-life balance.
5. Skip people pleasing. Your desire to be liked by everyone will hold you back. You’ve got to step up and be willing to lead and challenge others’ decisions.