96- year- old man killed at Nagpada flat; phones missing
A 96- year- old man, who lived alone, was killed at his second floor flat in Nagpada late on Friday.
The police said that the body of the man, Abdul Hamid Ansari, was found by his grandson who visited the flat at Yakub building in the Madanpura neighbourhood on Saturday morning. They said that the hands and feet were tied and he died of suffocation.
Police said that Ansari’s hands had been tied with handkerchiefs and legs had been tied with a piece of cloth. The robbers had stuffed a cloth in his mouth and had placed him on the bed with his face down. A police officer said that probably the accused did not intend to kill him but since his mouth was stuffed with a cloth, he died due to suffocation.
There was no evidence of forced entry into the flat. But the house was ransacked and this suggests that robbery was the motive, the police said.
Family members and neighbours told the police the man was fond of highend phones. He possessed five phones, but all of them were missing from the house.
“It appears that the attackers also tried to open a cupboard where there was cash amounting to Rs6.25 lakh. The cash was found to be untouched. The family was unsure whether any jewellery was missing,” said a police officer.
The police said Wahid, 22, visited his grandfather daily. When he got to the house at about 8.30am, he found him lying motionless and called his parents.
NK Mehetar, senior police inspector, “There was no sign of forced entry and this suggests that the accused may have been known to Ansari. We are inquiring into whether he had any enmity with anyone and the possibility that someone may have tried to settle old scores over money.”
Ansari has three sons and three daughters, all of whom are married. One of the sons is abroad and another retired as a headmaster of a Urdu school in Pydhonie recently.
A family member said, “Post 9pm, he did not allow anyone in the house after that as he used to live alone. This has been done by someone who is known to him.” The high court has rapped the Maharashtra govt for its lackadaisical attitude in setting up more fast- track courts to deal with crimes against women, as directed by the Supreme Court.
A division bench of chief justice Mohit Shah and justice MS Sonak reproached the govt after it was pointed out that despite the SC order, the govt had not yet filed an affidavit giving details pertaining to fast- track courts trying crime against women.
This March, HC had directed the govt to furnish details of existing courts and the number of posts of judges. The court was hearing a PIL on the need to set up more fast- track courts to try cases relating to offences against women.
The court had then given the govt four weeks to file a reply. However, the affidavit hasn’t been filed to date. “Why can’t you ( govt) file the affidavit?” asked the chief justice, who remarked it was a serious issue.
The PIL was filed by social activist Vihar Durve on March 6, accusing the govt of not being serious in setting up additional courts for speedy disposal of cases involving crimes against women. The petition states that govt apathy had been continuing despite repeated requests from the HC following the 2012 Supreme Court directive.
The information Durve obtained under the RTI Act shows that the govt had been sitting on the HC requests to create 10% additional posts in district courts to try such offences.
HC has been communicating with the govt on the issue since May 2010, but the govt has kept on raising one query or the other. The proposal is now pending with the finance dept, which has sought further clarifications.
CM Prithviraj Chavan had said the govt was in the process of setting up more courts. “We have constituted 100 fasttrack courts; 13 special courts to try offences against women have already been set up and 12 more will be set up soon,” Chavan had said.
Job applicants line up at the railway recruitment board’s Mumbai Central office for hall tickets. They are part of the 82,000 who will be appearing for exams the assistant train driver and technician categories. The exam will be held on Sunday
Daughter of the deceased, Abdul Hamid Ansari, mourns at his residence on Saturday