What needs to be looked at?
• A regional plan that strengthens both urban and rural areas. The plan needs to also look at tier 2 and tier 3 cities and villages
• Cities need to look at vertical growth. It can be as simple as having five-storey buildings. They are a good scale as they ensure decent level of density and the resources and infrastructure such as drainage and floors can be upgraded to accommodate people
• Barcelona is a good example that followed vertical expansion. They have built few 20- or 30-storey buildings, but the uniform density of the city is maintained at four-storey or five-storey buildings. This can be a model for cites like Chennai
• Expansion and redevelopment should be area/locality specific
• Expansion should be carried out keeping the city’s heritage value intact