Want to de­velop mo­bile ap­pli­ca­tions? ca­reer­coun­selling

Hindustan Times (Delhi) - HT Education - - News -


BU­QUERQUE Is mo­bile ap­pli­ca­tion de­vel­op­ment a safe ca­reer? How much will I earn in this field?

-Ayush Saarthi Mo­bile ap­pli­ca­tion de­vel­op­ment is the process by which ap­pli­ca­tion soft­ware is de­vel­oped for small, low-power hand­held de­vices such as per­sonal dig­i­tal as­sis­tants, en­ter­prise dig­i­tal as­sis­tants or mo­bile phones. These ap­pli­ca­tions are ei­ther pre­in­stalled on phones dur­ing man­u­fac­ture or down­loaded by cus­tomers from var­i­ous mo­bile soft­ware dis­tri­bu­tion plat­forms. With the launch of ser­vices such as 3G and Android tech­nol­ogy, the de­mand for pro­fes­sion­als in this area has in­creased tremen­dously. You can work as a mo­bile ap­pli­ca­tion pro­gram­mer who spe­cialises in de­vel­op­ing ap­pli­ca­tions for cell­phones and help com­bat se­cu­rity is­sues.

For a mo­bile ap­pli­ca­tion pro­gram­mer, a com­put­ers or tech­nol­ogy back­ground is re­quired as the knowl­edge of in­ter­face de­sign, net­work com­mu­ni­ca­tions, web ser­vices, SQLite data­bases, GSP frame­work and lo­ca­tion­based ser­vices is highly rec­om­mended for such pro­fes­sion­als. A creative mind and an abil­ity to adapt and in­no­vate would be to your ad­van­tage. So, there is a huge scope for job op­por­tu­ni­ties in this area. The pay pack­age varies from firm to firm and the des­ig­na­tion you join at.

Should I do CFA?

I have done my MCom as a reg­u­lar stu­dent from HP Univer­sity, Shimla, and a post­grad­u­ate diploma in busi­ness ad­min­is­tra­tion (fi­nance) through dis­tance ed­u­ca­tion. I have more than six years of ex­pe­ri­ence in ac­counts. Cur­rently, I work in a phar­ma­ceu­ti­cal com­pany as an as­sis­tant man­ager — ac­counts. Big com­pa­nies want char­tered ac­coun­tancy (CA) or cost and works ac­coun­tancy (CWA) qual­i­fi­ca­tions for man­age­rial roles. It is not easy to do CA or CWA due to job and fam­ily re­spon­si­bil­i­ties. Can I go for a char­tered fi­nan­cial anal­y­sis (CFA) course? If yes, then from which in­sti­tute/univer­sity?

-Sourabh The CFA pro­gramme im­parts train­ing in cor­po­rate fi­nance, in­vest­ment man­age­ment and fi­nan­cial ser­vices such as ven­ture cap­i­tal, leas­ing and hire pur­chase, project plan­ning and so on, as well as in in­ter­na­tional fi­nance and in­vest­ment man­age­ment.

The CFA is an in­ter­na­tion- al pro­fes­sional cer­ti­fi­ca­tion of­fered by the CFA In­sti­tute to fi­nan­cial an­a­lysts who com­plete a se­ries of three ex­am­i­na­tions, and have 48 months of qual­i­fied, pro­fes­sional work ex­pe­ri­ence. The course is con­ducted in In­dia through the dis­tance mode with con­tact classes con­ducted by ICFAI in ma­jor cities in the coun­try. How­ever, this is an in­ten­sive fi­nance course, and you may have the same prob­lems you have had with do­ing the CA or the CWA pro­grammes. So you might like to con­sider other op­tions af­ter MCom. A good op­tion could be bank­ing, as you have work ex­pe­ri­ence in ac­count­ing. You can sit for the bank pro­ba­tion­ary of­fi­cer (PO) exam con­ducted by govern­ment banks. The State Bank and other na­tion­alised banks re­cruit pro­ba­tion­ary of­fi­cers through the SBI Cen­tral Re­cruit­ment Board and the Bank­ing Ser­vice Re­cruit­ment Boards. For this, you are re­quired to clear a writ­ten test and in­ter­view. De­gree hold­ers in any sub­ject and a max­i­mum age of 28 years can take the PO exam.

You can also take up a course in bank­ing and fi­nance be­fore get­ting into this field of work. There are sev­eral in­sti­tutes of­fer­ing PG di­plo­mas in bank­ing and fi­nance through cor­re­spon­dence. In ad­di­tion, you can con­sider teach­ing and lec­ture­ship. Af­ter an MCom, you can take the National El­i­gi­bil­ity Test (NET) con­ducted by the Univer­sity Grants Com­mis­sion (UGC). Af­ter clear­ing the NET, you can ap­ply for teach­ing in any col­lege as ju­nior lec­turer.

Dis­tance-learn­ing BCA

I am do­ing a dis­tance-learn­ing BCA course from Al­la­habad Univer­sity. What are the job prospects af­ter do­ing BCA from dis­tance ed­u­ca­tion? Would I be el­i­gi­ble to ap­ply for the MCA cour­ses in Jawa­har­lal Nehru Univer­sity, Ba­naras Hindu Univer­sity and BITS, Mesra?

-Vishal Puri Due to in­tense com­pe­ti­tion, job prospects af­ter do­ing a BCA through the dis­tance mode are not so good, as pref­er­ence will be given firstly to the reg­u­lar course can­di­dates. Of course, you could still ap­ply to many com­pa­nies. How­ever, if you are in­ter­ested in jobs at this stage, then you could ap­ply to the many IT com­pa­nies that re­cruit BCAs, as a lot de­pends on your com­puter skills and knowl­edge. If you re­ally want to make a bright ca­reer in this field, then it’s al­ways bet­ter to take an MCA de­gree. As long as you have done your BCA from a recog­nised univer­sity, even through dis­tance ed­u­ca­tion, you are el­i­gi­ble to ap­ply for the MCA course in any univer­sity, in­clud­ing all the three uni­ver­si­ties that you have men­tioned.

Dif­fer­ent in­sti­tutes of­fer­ing MCA de­gree have dif­fer­ent pre­req­ui­sites for the en­trance qual­i­fi­ca­tions. There are dif­fer­ent MCA en­trance tests in­clud­ing the NIT Com­mon En­trance Test for the National In­sti­tutes of Tech­nol­ogy. JNU, BHU, BITS Mesra and other uni­ver­si­ties hold an en­trance test for MCA ad­mis­sion. A grad­u­ate with 50-60% marks in the last qual­i­fy­ing exam along with maths in Class 12 and/or grad­u­a­tion may ap­ply in these in­sti­tutes, af­ter sit­ting for the MCA en­trance test.


Newspapers in English

Newspapers from India

© PressReader. All rights reserved.