How do I make a ca­reer in lit­er­a­ture?

Hindustan Times (Delhi) - HT Education - - Front Page -

I am a Class 11 stu­dent of com­merce. I am fond of read­ing, writ­ing and lit­er­a­ture (English). I would like to know about the var­i­ous ca­reers in this field.

-MB As you are fond of read­ing and writ­ing English lit­er­a­ture, you can take up English for grad­u­a­tion. Prac­ti­cally all col­leges in In­dia and abroad of­fer bach­e­lors’ and post­grad­u­ate de­grees in English lit­er­a­ture. Af­ter that you can de­cide if you wish to con­tinue study­ing English lit­er­a­ture for an MA which can mainly lead to ca­reers in pub­lish­ing, aca­demics or teach­ing.

Al­ter­na­tively, you could spe­cialise in one of the many other fields af­ter grad­u­a­tion. English, an ex­cel­lent field of study, can lead to fields like pub­lish­ing, mass com­mu­ni­ca­tions, ad­ver­tis­ing, li­brar­i­an­ship, pub­lic re­la­tions, hos­pi­tal­ity and sev­eral other ca­reers. Stu­dents of English are typ­i­cally in de­mand for their writ­ing and read­ing skills, and can opt for a va­ri­ety of ca­reers in government, busi­ness, re­search, ed­u­ca­tion as well as in the cul­tural, en­ter­tain­ment and

com­mu­ni­ca­tions in­dus­tries.

BA af­ter BPP

I have fin­ished the six-month bach­e­lor prepara­tory course from Indira Gandhi Na­tional Open Univer­sity. Can I take the In­dian Ad­min­is­tra­tive Ser­vice exam af­ter com­plet­ing my BA?

Any job af­ter BCom

-AB Any grad­u­ate is el­i­gi­ble to write the Union Pub­lic Ser­vice Com­mis­sion’s (www.upsc. civil ser­vices ex­am­i­na­tion. To take the UPSC exam for the civil ser­vices, you should be a grad­u­ate in any sub­ject from a recog­nised univer­sity. Even a de­gree re­ceived af­ter a cor­re­spon­dence course from a recog­nised univer­sity is OK. You should be above the age of 21 and un­der 30. A stu­dent is al­lowed only four at­tempts at the exam. You can also ap­ply for other government jobs af­ter grad­u­a­tion, the va­can­cies for which are posted in Em­ploy­ment News. Is there any job for me? I am a BCom stu­dent.

-Bi­lal There are many ca­reer op­tions and short-term cour­ses for com­merce stu­dents, like MCom, MBA, PG di­ploma in man­age­ment, bank­ing and fi­nance, cap­i­tal mar­kets, wealth man­age­ment, in­surance, risk man­age­ment, char­tered ac­coun­tancy (CA), cost ac­count­ing, com­pany sec­re­tary­ship (CS), fi­nan­cial plan­ning (cer­ti­fied fi­nan­cial plan­ner), fi­nan­cial anal­y­sis (cer­ti­fied fi­nan­cial an­a­lyst or CFA), and com­puter cour­ses.

If you are look­ing for a ca­reer in busi­ness, your op­tions are: CA, CFA, cost ac­count­ing, CS, stock broking or an MBA. Char­tered ac­coun­tants are au­dit and ac­count ex­perts. Be­sides main­tain­ing ac­counts in a firm, their work in­cludes ac­coun­tancy, au­dit­ing, cost ac­coun­tancy, tax­a­tion, in­ves­ti­ga­tion and con­sul­tancy.

A com­pany sec­re­tary in an or­gan­i­sa­tion is an ad­vi­sor for fi­nan­cial and le­gal mat­ters such as in­cor­po­ra­tion, for­ma­tion, pro­mo­tion, re­or­gan­i­sa­tion or wind­ing up of a compa- ny. A CFA is trained in fi­nan­cial man­age­ment, in­vest­ment man­age­ment and man­age­ment ac­count­ing. CFAs’ fi­nan­cial ex­per­tise is vast and var­ied in­clud­ing all as­pects of eco­nom­ics, quan­ti­ta­tive tech­niques, eco­nomic leg­is­la­tion and se­cu­rity eval­u­a­tion; as well as fi­nan­cial ser­vices, cov­er­ing project plan­ning, mer­chant bank­ing ser­vices, port­fo­lio man­age­ment, ven­ture cap­i­tal, leas­ing, hire pur­chase, credit rat­ing and other al­lied ar­eas. If you are keen on fi­nan­cial ser­vices, you can also think about stock bro­kers who work in stock ex­changes which are like mar­ket places where stock­bro­kers buy and sell se­cu­ri­ties for in­di­vid­u­als or in­sti­tu­tions. An MBA will open up op­tions in all in­dus­tries in mar­ket­ing, fi­nance, hu­man re­sources, IT and sys­tems and op­er­a­tions.

One can earn CS, CA, cost ac­coun­tancy and CFA cer­ti­fi­ca­tions by clear­ing ex­ams run by the In­sti­tute of Com­pany Sec­re­taries of In­dia (, In­sti­tute of Char­tered Ac­coun­tants of In­dia (, and in­sti­tute of Cost Ac­coun­tants of In­dia ( and In­sti­tute of Char­tered Fi­nan­cial An­a­lysts of In­dia ( re­spec­tively. A stock­bro­ker needs bach­e­lor’s de­gree and two years’ ex­pe­ri­ence with a stock bro­ker­age firm. You can prob­a­bly take up any ca­reer of your choice. Much de­pends on your in­ter­est, ap­ti­tude and ca­reer ob­jec­tive.


Newspapers in English

Newspapers from India

© PressReader. All rights reserved.