‘There are many schol­ar­ships for In­di­ans’

The first sec­re­tary of the Em­bassy of Ja­pan talks about what’s on of­fer for In­dian stu­dents and how you can ap­ply

Hindustan Times (Delhi) - HT Education - - Front Page - Gauri Kohli

What are the most pre­ferred cour­ses among In­dian stu­dents in Ja­pan? About 40% of In­dian stu­dents are study­ing en­gi­neer­ing. The Univer­sity of Tokyo ac­cepts the largest num­ber (42 stu­dents) of In­dian stu­dents in Ja­pan. Out of those 42 In­dian stu­dents, 26 are pur­su­ing cour­ses in en­gi­neer­ing. How can one qual­ify for ad­mis­sion to a Ja­panese univer­sity? Each univer­sity con­ducts its own en­trance ex­am­i­na­tion. Some uni­ver­si­ties utilise EJU (Ex­am­i­na­tion for Ja­panese Univer­sity Ad­mis­sion for In­ter­na­tional Stu­dents) as their en­trance ex­am­i­na­tions. EJU is con­ducted in Delhi twice a year (June and Novem­ber). Some Global 30 uni­ver­si­ties (13 core Ja­panese uni­ver­si­ties se­lected and sup­ported by the Govern­ment of Ja­pan) also con­duct their se­lec­tion pro­cesses in In­dia. What are the schol­ar­ship pro­grammes for In­dian stu­dents? The Ja­panese Govern­ment (MEXT) Schol­ar­ships are pro­vided to In­dian stu­dents. There are mainly seven pro- grammes. All pro­grammes are full schol­ar­ships.

Re­search stu­dents (post­grad­u­ate, pos­si­ble to ob­tain mas­ter’s or PhD)

Un­der­grad­u­ate Stu­dents (bach­e­lor’s de­gree)

Col­lege of Tech­nol­ogy Stu­dents (as­so­ciate de­gree (diploma)

Spe­cialised Train­ing Col­lege Stu­dents (cer­tifi­cate)

Ja­panese Stud­ies Stu­dents (cer­tifi­cate)

Teacher Train­ing Stu­dents (cer­tifi­cate)

Young Lead­ers’ Pro­gramme (mas­ter’s de­gree)

Ja­pan Stu­dent Ser­vices Or­gan­i­sa­tion also pro­vides schol­ar­ships of 48,000 JPY (ap­prox US$500) a month. Lo­cal gov­ern­ments and pri­vate or­gan­i­sa­tions pro­vide schol­ar­ships, which may vary. How does one ap­ply for stu­dent visa? What is the visa pol­icy for stu­dents and how flex­i­ble is it? Be­fore ap­ply­ing for a visa, stu­dents in­tend­ing to study in Ja­pan or their prox­ies will ap­ply for the Cer­tifi­cate of El­i­gi­bil­ity for a Sta­tus of Res­i­dence and have it is­sued to them at the Re­gional Im­mi­gra­tion Bu­reaus in Ja­pan. With this Cer­tifi­cate of El­i­gi­bil­ity in hand, stu­dents will then per­son­ally ap­ply for a visa at the Ja­panese Em­bassy. Stu­dents can ap­ply for a visa with­out Cer­tifi­cate of El­i­gi­bil­ity. But the time re­quired to process this visa ap­pli­ca­tion will take longer in this case. Ja­panese Govern­ment (MEXT) Schol­ar­ship stu­dents are not re­quired to ob­tain the Cer­tifi­cate of El­i­gi­bil­ity be­fore ap­ply­ing for a visa. Do In­dian stu­dents get travel and med­i­cal in­sur­ance? In Ja­pan, a med­i­cal in­sur­ance sys­tem is avail­able to re­duce the bur­den on med­i­cal cost. For­eign­ers who will be stay­ing in Ja­pan for a pe­riod of more than one year have to subscribe to the National Health In­sur­ance. The in­sur­ance pre­mium has to be paid monthly once regis­tra­tion is com­pleted. How­ever, in most cases, the pre­mium is about 20,000 JPY per year. Once reg­is­tered with the National Health In­sur­ance, you will only need to pay 30% of the to­tal med­i­cal bill.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from India

© PressReader. All rights reserved.