MCDs target Oct 2 deadline to be open defecation free
municipal corporations of Delhi have set a deadline of October 2 deadline to make the national capital open defecation-free.
In a recent meeting chaired by Delhi lieutenant governor Anil Baijal, the commissioners of the south and east civic bodies, said they would make their areas open defecation-free by October 2.
But the North corporation commissioner assured that it would be done by December 15.
A senior official of the south corporation said the civic body had started the process of installing 100 mobile toilet vans at slum clusters falling under its jurisdiction, in order to achieve the 100% open defecation-free (ODF) tag.
The civic agency has earmarked sites across 104 wards. An amount of ₹12 crore has been allocated for the project.
According to officials, the project aims to supplement the efforts of the Delhi Urban Shelter Improvement Board (DUSIB) and Railways —the agencies responsible for providing infrastructure facilities in slums.
“The densely populated areas in Okhla, Nizamuddin and Tughlakabad face space constraints in constructing community toilets as they are near railway lines. So the south civic body has decided to place mobile toilet vans here,” said a senior official from SDMC.
According to parameters of the Swachh Bharat Mission, any urban local body can declare its wards ODF only if it is successful in providing public conveniences at 75% of its areas. Also, there should be provision for toilets within 500 metres of slum settlements.
Baijal has directed all municipal commissioners and the Delhi Development Authority to explore the possibility to create more multi-level stack parking and surface parking in their areas for the smooth implementation of the upcoming ‘Parking Policy.’
The North Delhi Municipal Corporation had announced construction of 10 stack parking lots near metro stations, especially on the Green Line — that connects Mundka and Inderlok stations.
The South Corporation has decided to construct these parkings near busy markets, metro stations as well as residential areas so that these facilities can be used by visitors and residents.
The application of Singh’s former driver coincided on Saturday with the start of the closing arguments in the trials. He has been named as the main conspirator in the deaths of Sirsa-based journalist Ram Chander Chhatrapati and dera member Ranjit Singh. Both murders were reported in 2002.
Singh is in a prison in Rohtak and appeared by video conference for the proceedings at a court in Panchkula.
“He behaved normally and did not complain of anything. He rarely looked up,” sources who were part of the hearing said.
“Today, CBI argued on statements of 31 witnesses out of total 60 in Ranjit murder case. The arguments will continue on Monday as well. As of the Ram Chander Chhatrapati case, final arguments will commence on September 22,” Singh’s lawyer SK Garg Narwana said.
The cases are in the final stages and the court asked the defence and prosecution lawyers for their reaction on the former driver’s plea, which is to be taken on September 22.
The driver, Khatta Singh, had initially testified against Singh in 2007 but changed his version in 2012.
Khatta Singh claimed he was living in the dera when the crimes were committed and had “personal knowledge” about the circumstances of the murders.
Meanwhile, Haryana Police arrested on Friday the driver of Honeypreet Kaur, the controversial adopted daughter of Singh. Pradeep Kumar was detained from near the religious town of Salasar in Rajasthan.
In 2013, a CBI special court had convicted Kumar to seven years of rigorous imprisonment besides slapping a fine of ₹60 lakh on him. He got bail a year later, but continued kidney extractions in Gurgaon, even while he was on bail, through his agent Javed Khan from Mumbai (who was arrested by the Dehradun police on September 11).
He was again arrested in connection with another kidney racket case in Gujarat in March last year, wherein he escaped police custody while being escorted to Anand from New Delhi in August 2016. He was later declared an absconder and a reward of ₹50,000 was announced against him by the Gujarat police.
In the past, too, a Faridabad court had in 2012 sentenced him to 10 years of rigorous imprisonment, convicting him for negligence in treatment that led to death of three Turkish nationals. He had also been arrested by the Delhi police in 2000 in another kidney racket in Delhi.
Shockingly, Kumar, who confessed to police to have performed around 50 renal surgeries in Dehradun in the past two months, is an ayurvedic practitioner and not even qualified to perform a kidney extraction/transplantation surgery.
“He continually used to change names and was found carrying two separate driving licenses even when he was arrested. All the money he used to earn through his illegal activities used to get exhausted every time he got arrested, so he used to start all over again, changing his place of action,” Dehradun senior superintendent of police (SSP) Nivedita Kukreti Kumar said.
After fleeing from Gujarat, he got in touch with one Rajiv Chaudhary, the middleman who brokered the deal for a hospital premises in Uttarakhand for Kumar.
In Dehradun, his modus operandi was to get poor people from far off states for extracting kidneys and later transplant them on rich patients, including foreigners at a makeshift operation theater at building at a desolate location on Dehradun-Haridwar highway.
Police said he had an arrangement with a private hospital around 30 km from Dehradun, where the post operative care of the patients were taken. He started his racket in July this year.
“They used to burn all documents related to the case to eliminate any evidence...he told us that around 50 kidney surgeries (including organ extraction and transplantation) had been performed in the Dehradun hospital since July this year,” the SSP said.
Telangana Rashtra Samithi spokesman Bhanuprasad described Alphons’ statement as shocking. The government is still fleecing people when crude prices have come down, he said.
In his speech in Thiruvananthapuram, Alphons said the Modi government was committed to ensuring the welfare of the downtrodden by building houses for the homeless, providing electricity in all villages and building toilets in all houses.
“We are imposing taxes to help the poor. All money collected is not being stolen by Union ministers,” he said adding it was the previous UPA regime that stole the money.
“Those who own vehicle require petrol also. I don’t think they have any problem in finding their food. In India at least 30% of the people are starving. The Modi government gives top priority to improve their lot. So those who are using fuel have to cough up tax also,” he said adding the tax being levied was reaching the public.
This is not the first time Alphons has courted trouble since he was made a minister. Recently, he advised foreign tourists to eat beef in their countries before coming to India.
Singh was awarded the Padma Vibhushan for his leadership during the 1965 War and subsequently the rank of the CAS was upgraded to that of Air Chief Marshal. He retired in July 1969, thereupon accepting ambassadorship to Switzerland. He remained a flyer till the end of his tenure in the IAF, visiting forward squadrons and units and flying with them.
In his career, Arjan Singh had flown more than 60 types of aircraft ranging from pre-World War II era biplanes to Gnats and Vampires. On August 15, 1947, he led a fly past over the Red fort in Delhi.
Six years ago, the veteran lost his wife Teji Arjan Singh on his birthday, April 15. On the occasion of his 60th anniversary, while talking about his diamond jubilee secret, Singh told this correspondent, “I tell Teji daily I love her.”
Someone with more than 70% disability is not eligible for admission at all.
In December 2016, parliament passed The Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill – 2016 which allows 5% reservation without any exception in all educational institutions. The legislation came into force in April 2017 but it does not apply in Suresh’s case because he took admission last year.
Suresh challenged the MCI’s cancellation order in the Kalaburagi Bench of Karnataka High Court, which, in an interim order on July 31, permitted him to appear in first year examination.
“While other students’ results are out, mine has been withheld,” he told HT from his village Byagwat in Raichur.
While the medical regulator’s decision was based on a rule backed by several medical reports and the views of the medical professionals, Suresh raised several questions regarding his case.
“When regulations don’t allow, why was I allowed to sit for examination? Why wasn’t I informed during counselling by the Karnataka Examination Authority? Why didn’t my college question that?” asked the teenager who counts becoming a doctor as his only dream.
“I can compete with any normal student and perform better than many of them,” he said.
Kavita Patil, chairman, RIMS, said that she is not aware of Suresh’ suicide note to MCI but is trying to help him by taking up the issue with senior government authorities.
A case related to permitting candidates with colour blindness to pursue medical education is pending in Supreme Court. During hearings, the top court has questioned the policy to completely exclude colour blind candidates from the medical profession.
The MCI analyses all medical college entries and given the scale of the work, it often takes months to scrap admissions.
THE DRIVER, KHATTA SINGH, HAD INITIALLY TESTIFIED AGAINST SINGH IN 2007 BUT CHANGED HIS VERSION IN 2012 Who buys petrol? Somebody who has a car or bike. Certainly he’s not starving. People who can afford to pay should pay When regulations don’t allow, why was I allowed to sit for examination? Why wasn’t I informed during counselling?