FIRE AT MUMBAI’S ICONIC RK STUDIO
A fire broke out at the iconic RK Studio in Mumbai’s Chembur on Saturday afternoon, completely gutting one of the sets being used for filming the reality show Super Dancers.
No casualties or injuries were reported as the shooting was not on but the studio suffered extensive damage.
The fire, officials suspect, was caused by a shot circuit, although the Mumbai fire brigade did not confirm this and said it would wait for a detailed investigation into the incident.
RK Studio houses the logistics of the RK Films production company, both established by and named after legendary Bollywood actor, director and producer Raj Kapoor in 1948 and is presently looked after by his son Rishi Kapoor.
Kapoor expressed his sadness over the incident in a tweet: “Sad A major fire broke out at RK Studios We have lost the iconic Stage 1 Thankfully no casualties nor injuries. All your concerns appreciated (sic).”
PS Rahangdale, the chief of the Mumbai fire brigade, said an alert call was received by the department around 2.22 pm and fire fighters reached the spot within five minutes. “The fire was confined to electric wiring, electric installation, decoration equipment in the 100x80 sq ft area on the ground floor of the building,” he said.
Six fire engines and five water tankers were pressed into service, and they brought the situation under control by 5pm.
Traffic from the Eastern Highway to V N Purav Marg was cordoned off.
THE FIRE, OFFICIALS SUSPECT, WAS CAUSED BY A SHOT CIRCUIT, ALTHOUGH THE MUMBAI FIRE BRIGADE DID NOT CONFIRM THIS
A fire broke out at the RK Studio in Mumbai on Saturday. Officials said the leveltwo fire was confined to electric wiring, electric installation, decoration equipment in a 100x80 sq ft area on the ground floor of the building. Six fire engines, five water tankers, and 12 ambulances were rushed to the site. There were no immediate reports of casualties.