Demolition drive against Digha buildings to resume on Dec 1
HC ORDER Committee told to submit report on action taken against illegal buildings on December 8
VASHI: After nearly a month’s break, the authorities are all set to resume their demolition drive against illegal structures in Digha. The demolition drive, which had been stalled owing to Diwali celebrations till November 30, will resume on December 1, said officials.
The high court has also asked the authorities to submit a report of the action taken against illegal buildings in the high court on December 8, added officials.
According to the high court order, a committee to oversee the demolition was formed. The committee works under the supervision of assistant commissioner of police Arun Walture. Deputy commissioner of police Shahaji Umap monitors the committee’s work.
“We have received the formal orders from the high court and have started working on it. The demolition will start from December 1,” said Umap.
“There have been instances of contractors, workers and even officials associated with the demolition drive receiving threats. The committee will be alert to such instances and have the right to take immediate action,” Umap added.
On October 28, the high court had ordered the formation of a committee under the assistant commissioner of police to coordinate the demolition drive with the three planning agencies — the Maharashtra Industrial Development Corporation (MIDC), City and Industrial Development Corporation (Cidco) and Navi Mumbai Municipal Corporation (NMMC) — under whose jurisdiction these buildings fall.
“As per the order, an ACP, assisted by a tehsildar will head a committee to oversee the demolition. The committee comprises an official each from NMMC, MIDC and Cidco,” said Umap. “We will hold a meeting with police commissioner Prabhat Ranjan on the issue soon to chalk out the strategy,” added Umap.
In October, the authorities had conducted demolition drives during which four illegal buildings in Digha were razed.
The residents of these illegal buildings had received temporary respite as the demolition action was stopped during the Diwali festivities with no action planned till November 30. Residents of some buildings managed to get a stay order as well.
ON OCT 28, HIGH COURT HAD ORDERED THE FORMATION OF A PANEL UNDER ASSISTANT COMMISSIONER OF POLICE TO COORDINATE THE DRIVE WITH THE 3 PLANNING AGENCIES