Residents homeless after demolitions
AT AIROLI Cidco stops razing a seven-storey building after residents hand over officials a stay order from the court
CBD BELAPUR: In continuation with the demolition drive against illegal buildings acrorss the city, Cidco started taking action at Airoli on Wednesday.
A few months ago, the high court took note of the mushrooming illegal buildings and ordered the agencies to clamp down against the menace. Yogesh Mhase, additional collector and City and Industrial Development Corporation (Cidco) chief controller of unauthorised construction (CCUC) have begun taking stringent action against the unauthorised constructions.
The first was a seven-storey building at Sector 20 while another was a two-storey building at Sector 1. The two-storey building was under construction and was completely demolished by the officials.
Most residents of the sevenstorey building had vacated their houses after getting Cidco’s notice. Those who had not protested against the drive by trying to stop offiicials from carrying out the demolitions.
Even as the demolition of the seven-storey building was on, with three storeys demolished, a stay order from the court was
reportedly presented to Cidco officials. They then stopped the demolition midway.
According to a resident, “One of the residents in the building living on the first floor had paid Rs23 lakh for the flat. He thought that it was a huge bargain as a flat in an opposite building had been sold for Rs70 lakh.”
Despite the stay order, residents said they would be unable
to continue living in the building as it had been weakened due to the partial demolition and hence rendered inhabitable.
The authorities then demolished the two-storey structure at Sector 1.
A Cidco official said, “These structures were constructed on Cidco land without having any land title and development permission from Cidco. Accordingly,
the corporation under the due process of the law removed the encroachments.”
He added, “We did not demolish one building completely due to a stay order of the court.”
The demolition drive was led by the CUC team. The drive was undertaken with the assistant and support of police officers and police personnel from Rabale police station.
Residents protest during the demolition drive at Airoli’s Sector 20 on Wednesday.
A seven-storey building at Sector 20 being pulled down.