DELHI GANG-RAPE MINOR CONVICT TO STAY AT NGO AFTER RELEASE
NEW DELHI: Instead of heading home after completing his sentence, the juvenile convicted in the infamous December 16 gang rape case has decided to spend a year with an NGO to ensure his safety and get rehabilitated back into society, sources told the Hindustan Times on Thursday.
The move came after months of outrage by civil society groups and reports that the convict, now 21 years old, was radicalised inside the detention centre by a fellow inmate.
Activist Amod Kanth stressed the juvenile would have had to voluntarily consent to be taken into “after care” by an NGO as he had already served his full sentence as per law.
“He [the convict] can be associated with a voluntary organisation that has to look after him in order to rehabilitate him to become socially reintegrated and help him become a good citizen. Health, counselling, economic empowerment for him would be the goals,” Kanth told HT.
The Hindustan Times had reported on November 26 that authorities were mulling invoking the National Security Act to stop the juvenile from leaving Delhi or go to Srinagar — the native place of the convict who indoctrinated him — as any such move may stoke more trouble and communal tensions. He was set to be released on December 15.
CONTINUED ON P7