Delhi gang-rape convict to walk free tomorrow
HC won’t stay release of convict, who was a juvenile 3 yrs ago
NEW DELHI: The Delhi high court on Friday refused to stay the release of the juvenile convicted in the infamous December 16, 2012 gang rape and murder, allowing him to walk free as scheduled on December 20.
The convict was sentenced to three years in a special home as he was a juvenile at the time of the crime when along with five men he brutally raped a 23-yearold paramedical student aboard a moving bus as a result of which she died in a Singapore hospital two weeks later. The incident triggered unprecedented public outrage over a sexual crime in the country and led to calls that juveniles be treated as adults for heinous offences.
“The maximum stay that can be directed in the special home... is three years and as the (juvenile convict) would be completing the period of three years by December 20, there cannot be any direction to continue his stay (there),” the high court said, amid concerns raised by the government that his mental fitness was not considered in the post-release plan.
The parents of the victim, who were against freeing the convict, reacted sharply to the verdict, saying, “Jurm jeet gaya, hum haar gaye (crime has won and we have lost)”.
“Despite three years of our efforts, the government and the courts are releasing a criminal. We were assured that justice would be done, but it has not been delivered. We are very disappointed,” they said, adding their three- year battle for justice had been in vain.
CONTINUED ON P8
RELATED REPORTS, P13