Five flats damaged in Kharghar fire
As many five families were affected by the fire that broke out at Giriraj Apartments at Kharghar on Wednesday night.
The fire broke out on the fifteenth floor of the high rise, but it soon spread to the sixteenth and fourteenth floor too. In both A and B wing of the building, each floor has four flats except for the eighteenth floor which has only two.
The fire broke out at A wing on the 15th floor. It took an hour for fire officials to start work because of lack of infrastructure.
“Flat number 1501, 1502, 1601, 1602 and one flat on fourteenth floor were severely affected. Some of the families are now staying at their friends’ or relatives’ places because of this,” said one polic official requesting anonymity.
Neither the police nor the fire brigade officials have understood the actual reason behind the fire.
Praveen Bodke, administrator of the Cidco fire department, said, “We have not found the reason so far. For now we have mentioned electronic short circuit as the reason in our report.”
Some residents however, claimed that the clothes in wardrobe caught fire when some children were playing with diyas and soon it engulfed in the entire floor. The officials however, did not confirm this.
When asked the value of the property lost in the fire, Bodke said, “Room number 1501 was totally gutted in the fire. We are trying to find out the total value of the loss, but have not come to conclusion so far. Residents of that flat are now temporarily staying on the 13th floor.”
The Kharghar police are however, keeping silence for reason unknown. While investigating officers refused to comment, senior police inspector was out of reach.
Room number 1501 was totally gutted in the fire. We are trying to find out the total value of the loss, but have not come to conclusion so far. Residents of that fl at are now temporarily staying on the 13th fl oor. PRAVEEN BODKE, administrator of the Cidco fire department