School bus catches fire at Vashi, none hurt
NAVI MUMBAI: A school bus belonging to a private school in Sanapada caught fire on Tuesday afternoon when 14 students were on board. However, due to presence of mind of the driver, none of the students were injured.
According to the police, the bus was coming to drop the students at Vashi after school around 3pm. As it was passing the road between Vashi station and Inorbit mall, the bus driver, Satish More spotted smoke emitting from the engine. He instantly parked the bus at an open space and asked all the students to alight.
“After taking them to a safer place, he informed the Vashi fire brigade about it. The fire brigade officials reached the spot on time and doused the fire,” said one police officer from Vashi police station.
The police too reached the spot and cordoned off the area.
“The fire was not a big one. However, the driver did a good job by vacating the bus before it was too late. There were no causalities in the accident. We think the accident took place because of an electric short circuit in the engine. Our investigations are on,” he added.
“The condition of the bus appeared to be good. Only the front side of it has been damaged because of the accident,” said an official from Vashi fire brigade.
A fireman douses fire which broke out on a school bus on Tuesday.