FIR against Girgaum event organisers; fire dept to change rules
MUMBAI: Nearly two weeks after a fire broke out during a Make In India event at Girgaum, the Mumbai police on Friday filed an FIR against the organisers.
A defect in the electric circuit was the spark for the fire, which spread rapidly as a lot of combustible material, including LPG cylinders, were stored below the stage, the report filed by the fire brigade said. The report stated wilful negligence by the organisers caused the February 14 blaze that gutted the stage at the gala Maharashtra Night.
The spokesperson for Mumbai police, Dhananjay Kulkarni, confirmed the FIR had been filed .
The Mumbai fire brigade also said on Friday that it will start asking organisers for an undertaking if they want to use pyrotechnics or fireworks during programmes. A recommendation for this was made in the fire bri- gade report.
The fire broke out during a dance performance, just a few feet from where governor Ch Vidyasagar Rao, chief minister Devendra Fadnavis, Shiv Sena chief Uddhav Thackeray, and actors Amitabh Bachchan, Aamir Khan were seated.