Civic body receives 15 applications for revamp, but yet to give go-ahead
NMMC chief says buildings will be inspected before giving permission for redevelopment
It has been a year since the government issued a notification granting 2.5 FSI for the redevelopment of dilapidated Cidco-constructed buildings in the city.
However, the Navi Mumbai Municipal Corporation (NMMC) has not yet given permission to any building.
While there have been allegations of political pressures, the NMMC has said the delay has been due to various factors.
It has stated that a special high-level committee has decided to inspect and verify each building and only those found dilapidated after a structural audit, will be given permission.
The government designated committee includes the municipal commissioner, NMMC city engineer, chief architect and planner of Cidco, joint deputy director of town planning at Konkan Bhavan and PWD superintendent engineers.
Municipal commissioner Dinesh Waghmare said, “So far, the response has been very conservative as the property market is down and there is a wait-and-watch policy in the real estate industry. We have received only 15 applications following the notification. They involve redevelopment of 96 buildings.”
On February 5, 2015, the state government granted 2.5 FSI for redevelopment of constructed dangerous and dilapidated buildings that are more than 30 years old.
Waghmare gave reasons for the delay.
“The high- level committee that is overseeing the process said that going by the old IIT reports which declared the buildings as dilapidated will not be right. The report was based on a sample of 4-5% buildings.”
He added, “It has now decided to inspect every building that seeks redevelopment. Following the structural audit, only those that are truly in a poor condition will be certified as dilapidated and will be given redevelopment permission.”
Wa ghmare added: “T he inspection process is on and two meetings of the committee have been held on the issue. The permissions are expected in March.”