NMMT privatisation gets nod; contractor to be hired for 7 yrs
The Navi Mumbai Municipal Transport (NMMT) committee has given the green signal for the transport body’s privatisation.
The move is expected to be launched from March 15. The NMMT will appoint a private contractor for running the buses for seven years. The administration has claimed that the move will ensure better services for commuters, who travel in rickety buses.
NMMT general manager Shirish Aradwad said, “It is not actually privatization in the real sense. It is not as if we are giving full control to a private party.”
He added, “We are only having participation from a private party to help bring in further efficiency and improve the services that NMMT is providing. This sharing of responsibility is in the interest of the commuters.”
The administration had been following up on the privatization project for the past two years to appoint contractors. The proposal was cleared by the NMMT committee earlier this week.
As per the proposal, under the JNNURM scheme, the NMMT will first get 145 buses and then 40 buses. The contractor will pay 30% of the cost for buying buses. The contractor will also bear the cost of fuel, repair and maintenance and drivers’ salary.
The bus conductor will however be appointed by the NMMT, which will have the right to collect money from the tickets sold.
NMMT’s depot will be leased to the contractor to park the buses. NMMT chairman Sabu Daniel said: “I am sure the city residents will benefit. The financial control remains with NMMT and hence there is nothing to worry about possible financial loss due to manipulation.”